Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Jack Oliver Cooper

Myrtle

Hi Again,

I would very much like to see a Picture of Capt Cooper, the one which was with the group was badly Water Damaged as stated before. I haven't yet had the chance to go Hyde Park & view the Plaque on the Lido I hope to on Monday. Why there is a Plaque on that particular building I haven't found out, his Mother lady Marion lived at a Ossemley Manor in Hempshire but on a document Dated 1919 she is shown as living in Cheyne walk Chelsea which is right near the Royal Hospital Chelsea. Perhaps she felt that she wanted a Memorial to her son that she could attend in London.

I look forward to seeing the picture of Capt Cooper, when I have had a chance to transfer the picture of Lady Cooper I'll try & post one on the site for you all to see.

I am not a RFC collector I collect all different types of British Medals but wanted a rather nice Casualty Group Capt Coopers just came along at the right time & had never been seen before as far as I know.

I have a very nice DFC Group to a Lt Cyril Raymernt 55 Sqn, which came from the family with lots or original paperwork & photos. He features a lot in a book on 55 Sqn, if anybody has any info on this man I would be pleased to hear, also on a Sgt Mech Deakin RFC he won an MM & MSM I just aquired his group which is currently being researched. I had not seen this combintion before again if anybody could shed any light on him or how many MM MSM(RAF) groups are known I'd be glad to hear from yoo.

Crimeinvestigator

Crimeinvestigator

I can understand that Jack's mother would have liked a memorial commemorating her son in London but not many people would have been in a position to have their loved ones commemorated in Hyde Park. I have wondered if the link is through swimming or if his family contibuted towards the upkeep of the Lido.

Myrtle

Myrtle,

This article about Mr Lansbury of the Lido may help;

post-1161-1141563081.jpg

So the pavillion was built to commemorate Captain Cooper.

Hi,

thanks for the info on the Lido in Hyde park, reading the article it give me the impression that the whole Lido was built as a Memorial to Jack. His Father was a wealthy man & the family seemed to hold some sway with there standing in the Royal Court.

I have Capt Coopers Obituary that appears in the Harrow Roll, which contains a Glowing report from both his CO & a Sgt in his Flight. His CO states he was the best pilot & flight Commander in the Squadron, some achivement at the age of 20.

I have removed the damaged photo from the frame & replaced it with the one of Capt Cooper from the Harrow Roll. I will of course keep the original safely with all the papers about Capt cooper that I have found so far.

I anybody would like to see the group send me your e-mail address & I send you a picture when I have phtographed it

Crimeinvesigator

Andrew

Thank you for posting the article. It appears that Jack Cooper's family were financially involved in the building of the Lido. Will you please let me know the date and source of the article ?

Myrtle

Andrew

Thank you for posting the article. It appears that Jack Cooper's family were financially involved in the building of the Lido. Will you please let me know the date and source of the article ?

Myrtle

Certainly;

The Times Friday, July 31, 1953; page 5

Regards,

Andrew

Just to add a small contribution, I think this is the same Lt Cooper at CFS Upavon in Feb-Mar 1915 in front of an FE2, my Grandfather was a contemporary of his. I have some other photos of him.

Patrick

post-8217-1141575074.jpg

Hi Patrick

I would be most interested to see any photos you may have, as I am trying to build up as much about Capt Cooper as I can.

Regards

Bryan

Crimeinvestigator

• 2 years later...

post-3633-1231088421.jpg

I know this is an old thread but I was at the Serpentine on New Year's day and took a photo of the plaque.

Chris C

• 1 year later...

I should like to see a copy of Lady Marion Cooper, Jack's mother in full court dress in 1902. I am a member of a team researching his life as he is commemorated on New Milton War Memorial, Hampshire

I hope crimeinvestigator (Bryan) still has the notification of threads alert set. He hasn't been seen on the forum since 2007 so might not spot this otherwise.

• 8 years later...

A genealogical tree chart of Alfred Cooper 1846-1915 and Marion Nicholson 1864-1936

Parents of:

Madeline Sheila Cooper 1883-1966

Reginald Alfred Cooper 1885-1965 Regular Royal Flying Corps Lt Col DSO

Frederick Goldsmith Cooper 1888-1919 1st Life Guards [discharged].

Colin Cooper 1892-1938 Royal Flying Corps, Major. purchased Barnwell Manor and Barnwell Castle.

Colin funded £5000 towards half the "Lansbury's" Hyde Park Serpentine Lido and Pavilion,

Dedication plaque to to his brother Jack:

Jack Oliver Cooper 1896-1916 Royal Flying Corps. Captain, shot down over the Somme, France

COOPER Alfred of Ossemsley Manor.pdf

Edited by Guest
Updated attached genealogy tree chart