Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George James Smith - Everton

wolfy2477

George was born 1878 and survived the war and lived until 1955 - due to his popular surname I'm struggling to confirm his service history - he was from Everton and a Docker. I have childhood memories of being told he was linked with the Black and tans which I did not know anything about until recently - (Googled it). I believe they were recruited as ex servicemen in the early 20's to assist the police in Ireland. Any help appreciated and any guidance on how to trace people who may have served in the back and tans

Paul

• Admin

Hi Paul

I guess, at least, you could be grateful he wasn't called John Smith :w00t:

If you go to the Ireland sub-forum here and do a search for "tans" you'll get a few threads which might list sources for researching.For his war service,do you have any documents or photos which might help at least identify a regiment? Did he get married during the war or have children as the certificates might have some details. I don't know if an absent voters list survives for Everton but that might be worth chasing too.

Glen

How about Pte George James Smith reg. no. 34263 Kings (Liverpool) Regt. - there's a Service record on Ancestry (as well as an MIC). NOK sister - Mary Ann at Maiden Bower Cottage, Knowsley, Lancs. Attested and posted 15.11.1915 (22nd Reserve Battalion), France: 19th Battalion 30.05.1916, 18th 07.07.1916. Demobbed Le Havre 05.03.1919. Awarded British & Victory Star. Service records are muddled up with a Clifford Morgan (34268), but there's quite a lot of interesting detail there.

Mike

Sorry , got carried away with location - the dates are wrong - this Smith was born c. 1892

Mike