Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish Ambulance Trains

I am a railway historian based in Belfast and I am posting this to ask for your help, please.

Ireland had two Ambulance Trains during the Great War - No 13 was provided by the Great Northern Railway (Ireland) and No 14 by the Great Southern and Western. Because of the difference in gauge, both Trains operated only in Ireland.

I am trying to write the story of No 13 Ambulance Train and have, so far, put together a 15.000 word article, including some illustrations.

No 13 Ambulance Train reputedly carried a total of 5300 patients. With a maximum capacity of 100 stretchers, this must represent over 50 return trips. There is only the sketchiest of information to hand as to what any of those journeys were.

I am hoping to find papers that record the movements of the train, particularly the unit's War Diary.

I have consulted files in the archive of the Irish Railway Record Society, the Imperial War Museum and Kew and have enquired of the Royal Army Medical Corps and the Irish Army. These sources have yielded a little information but the War Diary is proving elusive and the Train's actual movements remain a mystery.

I look forward to hearing from anyone on this Forum who can help.

Best wishes to all.

Charles P Friel

• 2 months later...

There is a photo of one in Dundalk 1914 in "The Unreturned Army: County Louth Dead In The Great War 1914-1918" by Donal Hall

• 3 weeks later...

There is a photo of one in Dundalk 1914 in "The Unreturned Army: County Louth Dead In The Great War 1914-1918" by Donal Hall

Here it is.

I could send a larger image file, or put you in touch with Donal Hall, who probably has an original print.

Michael

post-3328-0-31873500-1412279430_thumb.jp.

Lieut-Colonel, Thank you for copying up the picture. I had seen it before in publications but would very much like to get access to an original print, please. There are four pictures of the inside of the train which, I suspect, were taken at the same time. Again, original prints have yet to be found; they might reveal a lot of detail. All help gratefully received and will be fully acknowledged when the research is published. Best wishes CharlesP

I will send you Donal Hall's address in a PM.

Michael