Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy operating Italian railway guns in the Adriatic area

nicktamarensis

Hi,

I'm carrying out some research for a project and have come across a piece of contemporary artwork which is supposedly showing RN men under Italian command operating rail mounted guns on the Adriatic coast against attacks from the KuK navy.

I can't find any evidence to back this up. Is there any?

Cheers,

Nick.

"No American, French, Italian or Russian coat artillery action is known" Hogg - Allied Artillery of WW One (although the Russians did fire on RN ships in 1919/20)

Artwork here and was sourced from the Getty Images.

There's also an Italian flag flying and what might be an Italian officer i/c.

184249622.jpg?v=1&g=fs2%7C0%7Ceditorial1

Looks as if the artist has borrowed from the photo of an Anglo Belgian armoured train of 1914

Have you any idea what the original picture would have been? Presumably RND at Antwerp?

Nick.

Well, if not the RND then another BEF unit working with the Belgians.

I'm just intrigued as to what the original picture was that allegedly inspired the Italian piece of art.

I can remember seeing accounts of the Italians operating some armoured trains for the defence of the Adriatic coast - mainly as fast response to potential raids rather than as coastal artillery but IIRC there was nothing about the RN being involved and I could find no photos

Thanks very much for the images and digging for facts. It looks as if some generous interpretation has been employed in the subject matter of the painting!

Nick.

Yes if you look at the first and last of the photos I provide links to you can see how the same track side pylon is used in Belgium and Italy What a coincidence :whistle:

Nice one Sherlock! Splendid deerstalking!

Many thanks - every picture tells a (tall) story !!!.

I think I'll drop Getty Images a line!

Nick.

• 1 month later...

Looking through a 20 plus year old copy of Cross and Cockade this morning I came across some details on the armoured trains operated by the Italian Navy on the Adriatic coast. (see post 10) They were not unlike the RN/Belgian trains in general layout but with fold down sides to provide a firing platform when halted. They also carried light AA guns. One is credited with the capture of a KuK flying boat