Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank camp at Belah

Philip Wilson

I agree, it is a useful book, but the caption is wrong (it's a Mk I not a Mk II - the detail of how I know that and who has helped me know that  is in post #2) and lacking specificity (there were 3 battles of Gaza and tanks were used in the 2nd and the 3rd). 

Any ideas on the name?

A ‘tankodrome’ with HMLS Nutty nearest the camera. This tank was assigned to the 163rd Brigade (54th Division) and was knocked out while attacking an enemy redoubt. The wreckage remained in the middle of the enemy fortified position, which was then christened ‘Tank Redoubt’ by the British.      See Facebook Group: Egyptian Expeditionary Force in WW1 - topic on Tanks posted 12 April 2017

594d9873127ae_Tanks-BelahApril1917.jpg.f62fa5f25f30211e4c49121c8422af1d.jpeg

8 hours ago, Philip Wilson said:

A ‘tankodrome’ with HMLS Nutty nearest the camera. This tank was assigned to the 163rd Brigade (54th Division) and was knocked out while attacking an enemy redoubt. The wreckage remained in the middle of the enemy fortified position, which was then christened ‘Tank Redoubt’ by the British.      See Facebook Group: Egyptian Expeditionary Force in WW1 - topic on Tanks posted 12 April 2017

I was at Tank Redoubt in March but sadly there was no trace of Nutty.  

Back to Michael's photo, any thoughts on the name?

9 hours ago, IPT said:

Can't make the name out. I guess the first word is HMLS?

Image from IWM - http://media.iwm.org.uk/ciim5/393/237/large_000000.jpg?action=d&cat=photographs

You guess correctly IPT.