Remembered Today:

Medal identification

Guest Adambirkitt

Guest Adambirkitt

Can anyone help with identification of this medal? It was part of a collection of items belonging to a ww1 veteran.

post-111998-0-14247900-1404217935_thumb.

post-111998-0-39974300-1404217949_thumb.

Can anyone help with identification of this medal? It was part of a collection of items belonging to a ww1 veteran.

I don't think I have found it, but:

In 'Ribbons and Medals' (Taprell Dorling) is a photograph of the Serbian Order of St. Sava, Second Class. There are similarities: a bearded figure (but not the same one as yours) holding a staff inside a Maltese cross. The medal is more ornate than yours, but there were, it seems, five classes.

But the ribbon for St. Sava was "normally white with blue stripes towards each edge, though if awarded for war service the ribbon was plain red moire."

No I'm struggling as well.

I don't think I have found it, but:

In 'Ribbons and Medals' (Taprell Dorling) is a photograph of the Serbian Order of St. Sava, Second Class. There are similarities: a bearded figure (but not the same one as yours) holding a staff inside a Maltese cross. The medal is more ornate than yours, but there were, it seems, five classes.

But the ribbon for St. Sava was "normally white with blue stripes towards each edge, though if awarded for war service the ribbon was plain red moire."

There are certainly similarities with the Order of St Sava but I don't think this can be Serbian as the eagle on the obverse only has one head and the Serbian one was double-headed.

It might help to identify the medal if you can identify the saint - but I can't make out if he is holding a spear or a pilgrim's staff and can't see what he is holding in his other hand? I thought it might be St Jude (who often has a pentecostal flame on top of his head) but I must admit that I am just guessing...

What about St Henry?

If it is a nationally authorised medal, then doesn't the lack of a crown, of some design, in the superior position rule out monarchies ?

If it is a nationally authorised medal, then doesn't the lack of a crown, of some design, in the superior position rule out monarchies ?

Second Polish Republic? Subsisted 1918 to 1939.

It doesn't look like a Polish eagle - they had rounded wings, whilst this one's wings are peaked at the top.

Is it possible that it is... German? This link is to a website with a picture of the back of a coin issued in 1929 during the Weimar Republic, which looks pretty similar.

post-105485-0-70750600-1404570483_thumb.

Nothing on the box at all?

• Admin

Who is the man ?

Craig

Isn't St Michael often depicted with a spear?

(also IIRC Garbriel (but with Trumpet too) Longinus (Roman Soldier) as well as Mathew the Apostle and Thomas the Apostle)

Chris

The saint (?) in this medal - what is in his right hand? It looks to me like he's emptying a bucket/pouring some liquid.

The saint (?) in this medal - what is in his right hand? It looks to me like he's emptying a bucket/pouring some liquid.

I agree - it looks like he is emptying a bucket of water which, together with his spear, means that it is possibly St Florian who, amongst other things, is the patron saint of firefighters - particularly in the German speaking world. I am guessing (again) but suspect that this is an award/ decoration for someone in the fire service.

Thanks for posting the link, Jef - I have been obsessively trying to find a picture off and on all weekend. Good to have the mystery solved before it drove me totally mad.

C

It is good to have the mystery solved - what is the English interpretation of the medal please?.

On what grounds would this medal have been awarded?

Adambirkitt..... what where the mans other medals/service history please?

:thumbsup:

I have been obsessively trying to find a picture off and on all weekend. Good to have the mystery solved before it drove me totally mad.

C.

I also was looking into my books... etc. When I saw your post I only tried google in german.....and there it was.

kind regards,

Jef

Excellent piece of work.