Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pvt Fred West Reg No. 84278 MGC

becka88

I need help and guidance concerning Fred West, great uncle of a good friend of mine.

Fred West lived at Batts Corner Farnham Surrey.

Attested 11 Dec 1915, 3rd Btn Queens Royal Surrey? Transferred MGC 3 Feb 1917 and part of BEF to France.

Could someone interpret the Service Record for me please and hopefully tell me which Company ? he served with. I can see on this web site I can learn more about the battles various companies of the MGC fought in and where.

My friend is interested to know where he actually served in France before he was wounded and returned home approx. April 1918.

All help and advise very appreciated.

Kind regards

Margaret Rose

Can you post the link to his service record please?

Hi,

He originally served with 47 Company but later served with 9th Battalion. He was with 9th Battalion on 28th April 1918 when he suffered from a Gun Shot Wound to his left arm at that time the 9th Btn were taking part in battles near Kemmel Ridge and Scherpenberg.

Steve

• Admin

He enlisted under the Derby Scheme on the 11th December 1915 and was placed on the Army Reserve to await mobilization. On the 19th November 1916 he was mobilised and posted to the 3rd Bn Queens Royal West Surrey, this was a training/reserve bn. He completed basic training in the Queen's and on the 3rd February 1917 transferred to the MGC on the authority of a War Office letter and in all probability went to the MG Training School at Grantham. On 25 April 1917 he was posted to the Base Depot in France (Camiers) and from there to 47 Company as at post 3 above although he's shown as home on 27/4/1918 and posted to the R.D. (Reserve Depot?) strength.

This would be normal if he was in hospital the next entry is 27/9/18 which suspect is when he physically joined the Depot and his medical category had been downgraded and he was discharged as no longer fit for military service on 5/10/1918

The war diary for the 9 Bn MGC can be downloaded for £3.30 from TNA http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7352524

I can't see one for 47 Coy who were part of 16th (Irish) Division http://www.1914-1918.net/16div.htm

Ken

Thank you so much to those that have replied so quickly to my enquiry. Amazing!

The info provided is very helpful, my understanding of Service Records is improving with your help. Thanks.

Kind regards

Margaret