Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying 6 Inch gun at Devil's Gap Battery in Gibraltar

bartgib

I am involved in the restoration of a 6 Inch gun at Devil's Gap Battery in Gibraltar. I found the letters as seen in the attched photo. What do those letters mean?

post-111959-0-82516600-1404146194_thumb.

Welcome to the forum,

looks to be the 6in Breach Loading Mk7 Coast Defence Gun made by the Elswick Ordnance Company using the Armstrong's wire-wound construction. If it is indeed this gun I have some technical data

jon

Welcome to the forum, Bartgib. Could we please have some more photos of the gun and the battery.

Thanks for the information, I think the identification of the gun is correct. I'll post some more pictures of the battery as you asked.

Devil's Gap Battery was built in 1902 with 2 gun barrels of 1915. The battery is situated 130 meters above the sea level.

post-111959-0-11715800-1404240455_thumb.

During the restoration work I found this George V emblem on the barrel that was hidden under about 2 millimeters of paint from the last 50 years.

post-111959-0-16116100-1404240744_thumb.

Superb photos, Bartgib, most especially those in posts 6 and 8. Have you tried contacting the Royal Armouries museum of artillery at Fort Nelson (Portsmouth), who I think have an example of this gun in their collection, and probably have all the technical manuals in their archives? Also 'Explosion', the museum of naval ordnance at Priddy's Hard (again Portsmouth), and IWM Duxford has a WW1-vintage 9.2" Mk X gun in a later coastal mounting that came from a battery at Gibraltar.