Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Wales Borderers 2nd, 10th, 11th Diaries

gwentpal

• Admin
18 hours ago, hadders said:

Hello,

I have not long since found my Great Uncles details and I am trying to find out where he died. He was Frederick Owen 12066 2bn  SWB died 27/04/1917.

Please have you any record of him in the diary?

Hadders.

Welcome to the forum.

He was actually killed in action on 23 April 1917 (not the 27th) during an action at Monchy Le Proux.  He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial.  

Other ranks casualties are seldom mentioned by name in the war diaries and he is not.  Since this thread began the war diaries  have become available online, either on Ancestry if you subscribe or can be downloaded from the National Archives for £3.50.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_srt=1&_ep=WO+95/2304&_dss=range&_ro=any&_hb=tna

In brief the Battalion attacked that day, as part of the Arras Offensive, and successfully captured the first line of German trenches.  Unfortunately  the covering barrage fell short and caused “ a number of casualties to our own men”.  In addition enemy snipers were very active during the attack and consolidation.

if you have not done so suggest you take a look at the parent site, the Long Long Trail for information on how to research a soldier. There is a link top right.

Ken

Edited by kenf48

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Can anyone help. My Granddad - Frederick Henry Golding, regiment number 263081 was injured at some point in October/November 1918. My research shows that he served in the Monmouthshires/10 battalion/South Wales Borderers. Does anyone have a history or access to diaries that could help pin point when, where and how he was injured? 

many thanks

Jayne

• Admin
2 hours ago, Jaynenumber1 said:

Hello

Can anyone help. My Granddad - Frederick Henry Golding, regiment number 263081 was injured at some point in October/November 1918. My research shows that he served in the Monmouthshires/10 battalion/South Wales Borderers. Does anyone have a history or access to diaries that could help pin point when, where and how he was injured? 

many thanks

Jayne

As above, the war diary 10th SWB which seldom mentions other ranks by name is available at TNA 

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354169

or from the 1st October on Ancestry here

The 38th (Welsh) Division was heavily engaged in the Battle of the Hindenburg Line in early October 1918.

Ken

• 4 months later...
On 28/06/2014 at 00:18, gwentpal said:

Now got the War Diaries for the South Wales Borderers 10th (1st Gwent) and 11th (2nd Gwent) Battalions to go with the 2nd Battalions Diary.

Happy to do look ups for if anyone wants info.

Is there any information in War Diaries for my grandfather George Thomas believed wounded at Mametz Wood

• Admin
20 hours ago, s.fleming7@hotmail.co.uk said:

Is there any information in War Diaries for my grandfather George Thomas believed wounded at Mametz Wood

As previously noted above other ranks are seldom named in the war diaries.  The originator of this thread has not visited for a year and originally posted before the war diaries became available online (see links above at post 128).

Recently some casualty records have become available but we would need a bit more detail to help you.

Ken

• 2 months later...

Hi

I’m looking for further info re my Great Uncle 21590 Sgt Thomas Llewellyn 11th SWB. He was killed 7/7/16 at Mametz Wood, where I’ve visited on 3 occasions, including the centenary in 2016. I have some information including his medal card and copy of the battalion war diary. 

I would like to find out about his enlistment and info leading up to his death including when he was made up to Sgt. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks. 

Nick

Hi Nick,

His Soldiers' Died record shows that Thomas enlisted in Newport. Unfortunately, I didn't see a surviving service record. His medal roll records indicate that his overseas service was entirely with the 11th Bn - arriving in theatre on 4.12.1915 when the Bn first went over. Looking at the papers of a couple of 'near number' 11th Bn men, you seem to get:

21577 Lock - enlisted 7.1.1915; posted SWB Depot 8.1.1915; posted 11/SWB 18.1.1915

21616 Hendy - enlisted 6.1.1915; posted SWB Depot 9.1.1915; posted 11/SWB 18.1.1915

It looks like the Bn war diary is pretty scant on information about the events on 7th July 1916. It seems that the 115 Bde HQ diary (Ancestry link), and the 38 Division HQ (General Staff) diary (Ancestry link) will give you more context/info. They are also available from the National Archives (search page). There is help on reading map references here.

Thomas left a will - £10 from here. It may well only consist of a very few words, and would come as a low resolution B&W scan of the original.

Regards

Chris

• 4 months later...
On 12/05/2016 at 16:48, HarryBrook said:

His parents lived at Shipton Oliffe, near Andoversford [Gloucestershire], see the report in the Gloucestershire Echo of 18.7.1916.

post-43672-0-98358900-1463086057_thumb.j

Hi my name is Diane Souter and George Broadhurst is my grandfather. He is my father's father. George Broadhurst came to Canada in the early 1920's. He moved to Stratford Ontario and then later moved to Toronto. I would appreciate any information that you could share with me. Thanks Diane.

• 2 months later...

Hello

i wonder if anyone can help with more information about my great uncle 10th SWB 33778 John James Hayes who was killed 1/8/1917 at Steenbeek. He's listed on the Menin Gate. 

I would like to find out about his enlistment; he was from Preston, Lancashire. I understand that the war diaries of 10/SWB may contain detailed information about individuals. 

Thanks

Brian

• 1 month later...

My Grandad was in The 10th. Henry Charles Wiltshire. I have his number(s) he was transferred to the labour squad. 

I have a copy of a charge he was answering to on 12/5/17 for going missing for 24 hours, it shows that he was in Rouen? He lost his stripe for going missing. I’m looking forward to sharing information 

• Admin
10 hours ago, Grandad Seeker said:

My Grandad was in The 10th. Henry Charles Wiltshire. I have his number(s) he was transferred to the labour squad. 

I have a copy of a charge he was answering to on 12/5/17 for going missing for 24 hours, it shows that he was in Rouen? He lost his stripe for going missing. I’m looking forward to sharing information 

Hello and welcome to the forum,

first a gentle reminder that due to copyright issues can you acknowledge the source of the documents you have posted, i.e. Ancestry.

Turning to the substance of the query Rouen was 5 Infantry Base Depot,  Rouen see https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/other-aspects-of-order-of-battle/infantry-base-depots-in-france-1914-1918/

It's recommended. you have a good look around the above site, especially the information on researching a soldier.

The Medal Roll and index card as posted above only give information as to units he served with overseas and qualified for the medals.  Any previous unit he served with in the UK will be more difficult to find without a service record.  He was posted into the South Wales Borderers on or around the 17 January 1917.  This period of the war was the height of the 'manpower crisis' following the losses of the previous year on the Western Front, as a consequence men posted to home units were  'combed out' and sent to France.  Home service men tended to be older, married and less fit than other soldiers.  You don't say where he was from but a couple of men in the same number series were from East Sussex and were posted into the SWB from a Home Service Royal Engineers Company.

This, his fitness (or lack of) and his peacetime occupation, probably explains his later transfer to the Labour Corps.  You will note the medal roll is the Labour Corps Roll which means he was serving with them when discharged.  It may be he was wounded while serving with the SWB, in any event I would place his transfer, which may have been to a home service company of the Labour Corps as around the beginning of November 1918.

As you have access to Ancestry the war diary for the 10th Battalion from January 1917 is here

There is no guarantee that he remained with that Battalion from 1917 until his transfer to the LC, the fact he was at the Base Depot in May tends to mitigate against this the LC Rolls only show the first unit he entered theatre, to which his medals were named, and the last who administered the issue.

Ken

• 8 months later...
On 25/07/2019 at 10:58, kenf48 said:

Hello and welcome to the forum,

first a gentle reminder that due to copyright issues can you acknowledge the source of the documents you have posted, i.e. Ancestry.

Turning to the substance of the query Rouen was 5 Infantry Base Depot,  Rouen see https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/other-aspects-of-order-of-battle/infantry-base-depots-in-france-1914-1918/

It's recommended. you have a good look around the above site, especially the information on researching a soldier.

The Medal Roll and index card as posted above only give information as to units he served with overseas and qualified for the medals.  Any previous unit he served with in the UK will be more difficult to find without a service record.  He was posted into the South Wales Borderers on or around the 17 January 1917.  This period of the war was the height of the 'manpower crisis' following the losses of the previous year on the Western Front, as a consequence men posted to home units were  'combed out' and sent to France.  Home service men tended to be older, married and less fit than other soldiers.  You don't say where he was from but a couple of men in the same number series were from East Sussex and were posted into the SWB from a Home Service Royal Engineers Company.

This, his fitness (or lack of) and his peacetime occupation, probably explains his later transfer to the Labour Corps.  You will note the medal roll is the Labour Corps Roll which means he was serving with them when discharged.  It may be he was wounded while serving with the SWB, in any event I would place his transfer, which may have been to a home service company of the Labour Corps as around the beginning of November 1918.

As you have access to Ancestry the war diary for the 10th Battalion from January 1917 is here

There is no guarantee that he remained with that Battalion from 1917 until his transfer to the LC, the fact he was at the Base Depot in May tends to mitigate against this the LC Rolls only show the first unit he entered theatre, to which his medals were named, and the last who administered the issue.

Ken

Henry Charles Wiltshire SWB (the 10th).

ive been trying to research him for twenty years. He survived WW1, I have two numbers for him, SWB and Labour Squad number?  I believe he was injured at Mametz Wood but, I may be well off course? ANY information about my Grandfather would be gratefully received.

i have one photograph of him, and a copy of his charge for disappearing for 24hours while they waited to go up the line.

Many thanks 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Henry Charles Wiltshire, was my grandfather. He survived his war, and returned home. Yes, he was a Welshman, yes he was a haulier by trade underground. I believe he signed up because there was no work.  On his return in 1929, he married my Grandmother, in May 1935 he was killed in suspicious circumstances while searching for work at Cefn Coed Colliery, Neath. My mother was 18 months old. There was no money to bury him. My Gran never spoke of him again. Years later, I try and research the crumbs left behind for my mother who is dying with Alzheimer’s. So forgive my oversight, it’s now April 2020, and my mother has already died, and we are in the middle of a world wide crisis.  I asked for help, and some kindness

On his return in 1929

Where was he from end of the war till 1929?

1 hour ago, johnboy said:

On his return in 1929

Where was he from end of the war till 1929?

thank you for your reply.

ive no idea where he was prior to meeting my grandmother, or after WW1 

• 1 year later...

Hello.  Would you be good enough and look if you have any information on.

20467 Pte. Richard Gaydon.  10th. 
22229.  Pte. Samuel Windsor.  11th.

Thank you very much.     Lyn.

• Admin

@gwentpal hasn’t been on the forum since 2019, I have tagged them, so they may see your post.