Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Body density map Neuve Chapelle area

Ancre1917

Can anyone help me with a body density map for Neuve Chapelle? I'm looking to see where unidentified casualties (kia and missing) from 1st Northumberland Fusiliers October 1914 might have been buried after the battle (if that actually happened) and where they might have been concentrated.

Thanks

Richard

• Admin

Richard

The "body density maps" are not maps of bodies found but of burials registered in the map square. If the missing fell in no man's land then they most likely won't be on such a map. I don't know if there is one for Neuve Chapellle but if it exists, then CWGC will probably have it. They will also be able to advise you on the numbers on unknown NF men buried in the area.

THey are supposed to be putting a lot more information online soon (possibly as early as next month) so if it isn't urgent, probably better to wait and see what that contains. I was told at a CWC talk a couple of years ago that it will be exactly the same information their staff use for answering queries like this and with 4th August approaching, I imagine they are all rather busy right now.

Glen

Richard

The "body density maps" are not maps of bodies found but of burials registered in the map square. If the missing fell in no man's land then they most likely won't be on such a map. I don't know if there is one for Neuve Chapellle but if it exists, then CWGC will probably have it. They will also be able to advise you on the numbers on unknown NF men buried in the area.

THey are supposed to be putting a lot more information online soon (possibly as early as next month) so if it isn't urgent, probably better to wait and see what that contains. I was told at a CWC talk a couple of years ago that it will be exactly the same information their staff use for answering queries like this and with 4th August approaching, I imagine they are all rather busy right now.

Glen

That's interesting...in the dealings I've had with CWGC, they have been forthcoming with map refs but told me that the maps themselves are with the IWM. I know someone else that has been told the same thing and therein lies a problem - I have tried without success to contact the IWM regarding maps referred to by CWGC and was told they are too busy with the centenary and don't have the manpower to deal with those queries.

I do think it is strange and would have thought that the GRU would have handed over working maps to CWGC which they in turn would have kept to make reference to in the future.

• Admin

Thanks for the correction Seaforths. Like you, I just used logic assumed CWGC would hold the maps.

Anyway, I hope that what CWGC are putting online will help a lot of people with queries like this although I suspect the extra information will probably raise many more new queries!

?... I suspect the extra information will probably raise many more new queries!

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. It is often the case when one question is answered another barrage of questions are raised but it will be an exciting year in terms of information released from CWGC and IRCC!

The problem too with land that was taken, lost, re-taken etc. was that some of the dead will have been dealt with by the Germans and they didn't hand over that information to the GRU until after the war. In those circumstances, body density maps might be of limited value. I have found information regarding burials in Bde. and Divisional diaries in the past. Information such as orders put in place for disposal of bodies and areas allocated to establish cemeteries etc. That said, I have not researched that aspect for 1914 and the information I have seen has been from 1916 onwards so possibly not much help here.

Thanks to you both for your prompt replies. It looks as if it would be best to wait till CWGC publish later this year. Thanks again.

Richard