Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental histories on CD-ROM

ErnieNoakes

:lol: Just been browsing the web and found this site. http://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/index.html

I've been after a copy of 'A History of South Staffordshire Refiment (1705-1923) but can't afford the sort of money they command (when and if you can find one)

This site has records available on CD.

At present we have Regimental Histories available which deal extensively with the First World War (1914-1919) for some of the Battalions of the Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire Regiments, and also two for the Birmingham Battalions of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

We will be expanding this section.

Ive just ordered a copy from them for £11.75 + postage. They also have 'A War History of the 6th Bn'. If members are aware of this site sorry, but £11.75. :D

Thank you for pointing out my error. That's what comes of not concentrating.

Cheers, Ernie. I hadn't seen this site.

Just saved myself a lot of money (even in re-print!) on the Worcesters History and the "Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour" because of this site! :D

Dave. (PS. who's the "we" (moderator?) who's done a "red attachment" to your post?)

Dave,

Glad it's saved someone else some money. The service is good too, ordered mid pm delivered next day. The red font is me, it's a quote from the site. Have I made another mistake?

Ernie.

The red font is me, it's a quote from the site. Have I made another mistake?

No, no! Definately not!!! I was just curious because it resembled a "moderator's addition" to a post and I thought we might have had an (unidentified) useful contact within the Midlands Historical lot.

I received an email from them today (meaning Thursday) saying that they've dispatched my CD's and should recieve them tomorrow (meaning Friday). I only ordered them minutes before my last post in this thread, so I'll be most impressed if I get them on Friday, less than 36 hours after ordering!

Dave.

I'll be most impressed if I get them on Friday, less than 36 hours after ordering!

I did, and I am!!! :D

Approx. 34 hours after clicking the "send" button for my details on their website, Mr.Postie drops the CDs through my letterbox.

Very impressive service!!!!

Dave. :D

• 1 month later...

Someone mentioned "Books of Honor". I,ve purchased the Manchester City Roll's of Honor on CD from my Family History Society, and very interesting they are. If anyone wants to know where to obtain them the address is:-

The Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society

Clayton House,

59 Piccadilly

Manchester,

M1 2AQ.

Tel 0161 236 9750 E-mail office@mlfhs.org.uk or look on the internet at:-

www.mlfhs.org.uk

Hope this may be of use to someone

Len

• 2 weeks later...
Someone mentioned "Books of Honor". I,ve purchased the Manchester City Roll's of Honor on CD from my Family History Society, and very interesting they are. If anyone wants to know where to obtain them the address is:-

Clayton House,

59 Piccadilly

Manchester,

M1 2AQ.

Tel  0161 236 9750      E-mail  office@mlfhs.org.uk or look on the internet at:-

www.mlfhs.org.uk

Len

and they are excellent value! :D

Clayton House,

59 Piccadilly

Manchester,

M1 2AQ.

Tel  0161 236 9750      E-mail  office@mlfhs.org.uk or look on the internet at:-

www.mlfhs.org.uk

Len

and they are excellent value! :D

Hi There, :)

I can second that. Also brilliant value £7.50 each and received them within 36 hours of my telephone order. Can't say fairer than that, can you ?

Cheers

Tim.

My only gripe is that the City of Manchester did not include my grandfathers employers on the 2nd CD.

However the rest is brilliant

I wonder if it because he came from Nelson? B)

Peter :P

My only gripe is that the City of Manchester did not include my grandfathers employers on the 2nd CD.

However the rest is brilliant

I wonder if it because he came from Nelson? B)

Peter :P

Peter

can I be nosey and ask who your GF was ?

did you find where he worked? was he omitted or the place of employment?

chris

Chris,

first of all belated birthday greetings

My grandfather is in my signature William Leyland and he worked for James Nelson Ltd in the Valley Mills in Nelson.

I was having a gentle dig at the book of honour as it only covers Manchester and close area and does not give places from further afield. Wishful thinking on my part

Peter

Peter

many thanks for the birthday wishes

of course your GF is in your signature d'oh! ( B) too many bushmills)

i was just wondering if there is a roll of honour for lancashire, i've just ordered one for manchester but didn't see a county CD

just looked up your GF, (hmm i guess the spelling doesn't help either ) is it just me or have some of the blokes in platoon 4 been pasted in afterwards?

cheers

chris

I was having a gentle dig at the book of honour as it only covers Manchester and close area and does not give places from further afield.

Peter - Not strictly accurate. Quite a number of company entries include all of their premises, not just those in Manchester. Similarly, there are trade association entries which include premises north of Manchester. And, dare I say it, even into Yorkshire.

Chris - Are you referring to the Manchester edition of the National Roll. If so, there's no county one, I'm afraid. There is one for Salford, though.

Chris - Are you referring to the Manchester edition of the National Roll. If so, there's no county one, I'm afraid. There is one for Salford, though.

John,

i suspected as much

i was using the 'spinning the web' site but seeing it's gone I've ordered a CD copy

(makes me think more about the copyright thing on these cds forum link )

chris

• spof changed the title to Regimental histories on CD-ROM