Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte George Burridge 9th Bn (London Regiment), Royal Regt Fusiliers

Tommo7567

Hi all,

I'm currently researching my Great Grandfather PS 10884 Private George Burridge of 9th Bn Royal Fusiliers, who was killed in action on Easter Monday 9th April 1917 at the first battle of the Scarpe.

I am doing this for a number of reasons but primarily as I am an ex -serviceman myself and wish to know as much as possible about him. I will be visiting the Arras memorial in August with my family to see his headstone and it would be nice if I could tie up some loose ends.

George was 37 when he died,and he signed up after the battalion was raised in Houndlsow in 1916 I believe but I do not know why he signed for Kitcheners volunteers at such an age. He was married with several children and worked in the brickyards.

I know his regiment was part of 12th (Eastern) Division and they attacked the german trenches along the direction of the Arras-Cambrai road on the morning of the 9th on the first day of the battle. If at all possible I would like to narrow down the area in which he was reported MIA or KIA, although I am realistic that this may not happen.

If anyone could shed any light on the battalion or division that George fought in I would be greatly appreciative.

I do know from further research that in a bizarre twist of fate ( coincidence but uncanny all the same) that my wife's Great Uncle, a sniper in the Manchester regiment, was most likely firing onto the same german defensive positions that George was assaulting, and that the predecessors of my own unit, C Battery Royal Horse Artillery, were one of the many artillery units conducting the 3 week preparation fire onto the enemy positions in support of the assault.

Thanks in advance

Paul T.

Paul

His service number prefix being PS/ he was initially trained by either 28th or 29th Battalion Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) - these were the Reserve Battalions of the University and Public Schools Brigade. He would have enlisted hoping to join one of the UPS battalion (18th, 19th 20th or 21st RF) but all but 20th RF had been disbanded by the time he had finished training. During the Battle of the Somme RF reinforcing drafts were sent to whichever battalion needed them the most - in this case 9th RF. Men with similar service numbers were attested in December 1915 (I think under the Derby Scheme), were then posted to a battalion for training in about May 1916 and went to France in late August. He would probably have been posted to 9th RF on arrival at an Infantry Base Depot in France.

The 9th RF were in support of other battalions on 9th April on the first day of the battle; the war diary states:

'Zero hour was 5.30am. General attack was made from S of Arras to N of Vimy Ridge. The Bde attacked with the 11th Bn Middlesex on right, 7th Sussex on left, 9th RF behing Middlesex, 8th RF behind 7th Sussex. Battn's objectives were (1) line of strong points from Houdain Lane to Habarcq , (2) Habarcq Trench and (3) Hulst Trench. All objectives taken together with 220 prisoners and 2 MGs. Casualties 1 officer killed, 3 wounded, other ranks 117. 37th Bde passed through us to attack the Brown Line.'

This attack took place to the east of Arras and were just north of the Arras Cambrai Road.

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

That's fantastic, just the sort of information I was seeking. Am I correct in assuming this information is contained in the regimental archives at the Tower of London? and that being the case are accessible by the public?

Many many thanks.

Paul

Paul

I've not visited the archives at the Tower. The war diary can be downloaded from the National Archives website for a charge of £3.30. 9 Battalion Royal Fusiliers

I've been studying the UPS Brigade for a year or two.

Kind regards

Colin