Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On Active Service : 54th Field Ambulance, R.A.M.C.

Dust Jacket Collector

I've just bought this little book on Ebay. Its' full title is :- On Active Service 54th Field Ambulance, RAMC, A.T.N. (18th Division) 1915-16-17-18. Published by Jarrold (not dated but I'd guess 1919) by H.W.A.

I can't find any record of it in any library, so I'd guess it's rather scarce.

I only mention it here because it lists every Officer & Man who served with it & also lists all the actions in which the unit was involved. These unfortunately are of the briefest nature, i.e. - "1916. Marched to Picquiny rest area. Ran D.R.S. Working parties in the line, Carnoy. Preparing for Somme Offensive."

If I can look up any names for anyone, let me know.

• 4 weeks later...

What a fantastic find. (My husband and I used to own a "second hand books" shop. Your copy would definitely be in the collectables).

If you have chance I would greatly appreciate if you could have a look for any mention of the following gentleman. He was my grandad's youngest brother. Family "tradition" has it that they last saw one another in France. (Grandad being in the Sherwood Foresters and then transferred to the Royal Engineers).

The person I am researching served in the name of William Henry RICHARDS (real name Richard Henry Parkes)

Private # 38407. (family says stretcher bearer)

He is listed in Soldiers died in the Great War under his assumed name. It says enlisted Birmingham,

Death year - 1918, death day - 22, death month - 8, cause of death - died of wounds, place - France & Flanders.

I have him on the CWGC. WW1 Franvillers Communal Cemetery Extension, France.

Parkes, Richard Henry. Served as William Henry RICHARDS. Aged 26 Son of Samuel and Jane Parkes of 12 Norman Villas, Deepfields, Bilston Staffs. II. C. 21. 22 August 1918

In St. Caths - death registered as William H RICHARDS Private 38407 RAMC - Vol M6 Page 209.

Also have found him on WW1 Medal Roll. Unfortunately no trace of any army records for him (nor my grandad).

Hopefully you may be able to find something of him. Looking forward to hearing from you, kindest regards, Cynthia Parkes.

PS Married my cousin Colin Parkes so it is of interest to us both.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest David Perfect

I was very interested to read your posting of 26 June about the 54th Field Ambulance, R.A.M.C. My maternal grandfather, David Cuthbert Barron, was commissioned lieutenant in the R.A.M.C. in August 1914 and was on active duty in France by January 1916. Having been promoted to major earlier that year, I know that by August 1916 he was in command of the 54th Field Ambulance (as acting lieutenant-colonel) attached to the 18th Division, and was mentioned in despatches in January 1917. By 1918, he was located at Base Hospital No. 4 General Hospital at Camiers/Etaples. The only evidence I have of where he was stationed is the name of his daughter. She was born in January 1916 and named Becordel Nellie (known as Della) after the place he was stationed in when he heard the news of her birth. Becordel-Becourt is located c.2 km SE of Albert and the 18th Division took part in the Battle of Albert.

I would be very interested to know if my grandfather is mentioned in the book and also if you can shed further light on where the R.A.M.C. was based during 1916 and 1917. My grandfather survived the war and died as recently as 1988, but sadly, if entirely understandably, was always reluctant to discuss his memories of the war.

Any information will be very gratefully received.

Dave Perfect

Sorry to you both, I've only just picked up this thread again.

Cyn. The only mention is a list at the front of the book of those killed - 38407 Pte. Richards, W.H. and again at the end in a list of all those serving with the 54th. Nothing else, no dates or mentions in the text.

Dave. At the rear of the book a list of officers commanding - Lieut.-Col. D.C.Barron, RAMC (April 12th, 1916, to March 20th, 1917). He's not mentioned elsewhere in the list of actions (no-one is) which just lists where they were during specific years, not broken down into months. If you want me to send you a scan of the relevant pages then let me have your email address (the download limit on this site is too small to scan many pages).

Hope that helps a bit. The information in the book is rather thin.

Dear Dust Jacket Collector,

Your answer is more than sufficient for my family research purposes as it ties in my previous information. However, if you have to go into the book again it would be most interesting to see where the 54th Field Ambulance was in 1918. I still have not been able to find anything on this. Either copy of just a brief typed list would sufice.

Kindest regards,

Cynthia and Colin

Here are the 3 relevant pages. Let me know if you want more.

post-35362-0-60752700-1407828717_thumb.jpost-35362-0-08435800-1407828733_thumb.j

Couldn't fit the 3rd one in, so here it is

post-35362-0-02644700-1407828833_thumb.j

Guest David Perfect

Dear Dust Jacket Collector

Many thanks for the useful information about David Barron and the kind offer to scan and e-mail me the relevant pages for 1916 and 1917. I would be very grateful if you could e-mail these to me at:

david.m.perfect@btinternet.com

Best wishes

Dave

• 8 months later...

Dear Dust Jacket Collector

I wonder if you could look up and see if there is mention of Driver Frank L Vosper ASC T28744. His Medal Card gives him as 5th Field Ambulance, another document says 38th Field Ambulance and on his demob papers it is the 54th Field Ambulance. He was awarded the Military medal --in London Gazette November 1917. I am trying to find out something about his service in France. I have his records in the burnt documents but it does not have a lot of detail.

Any information would be most welcome.

Best wishes

Sue