Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Jeremiah Francis Aherne RE

JohnMB

My wife's grandfather, Jeremiah Francis Aherne (spelled as Ahearne in military records) was an acting Corporal in the Royal Engineers, SN 19730, during the latter stages of WW1. It's apparent from some papers we have on him from TNA, Kew and from his postcards home that he was stationed in Bermuda from January to October 1914, then he was redeployed in or near Ypres from November 1914 to December 1915 after which he was sent to Salonika, departing by ship from Marseilles and arriving in Greece in early January 1916. In Flanders he served in 17 Field Company and in the 32nd Railway Operating Company. In July 1918 he was returned to Ireland from Salonika to undergo Cadet training at Moore Park, Fermoy, Co. Cork. Because the War ended before his Officer training was completed, upon completion he was appointed to a temporary commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Munster Fusiliers on 5 March 1919 and immediately discharged to the Military Reserve. We don't know what he did in Salonika or what Division/Unit he was with while there. As I don't live in the UK and won't be visiting TNA, Kew anytime soon does anyone know of any research material (web based or otherwise) on the Royal Engineers in Salonika which might help my wife and I to learn more about his Salonika experience?

• 3 years later...

John,

Only just saw this, your wife's grandfather served in 17 Field Coy RE and 32 Rly Operating Coy in Salonika.  Presumably he had previous railway experience before going to 32 ROC.  It was formed in theatre from men with previous railway experience.  The best book you could buy is the relevant volume of the History of the Corps of Royal Engineers, Vol 6.  

32 R.O.C was formed on 2nd February, 1917 according to the authority received in W.O. cable No. 25959 S.D.2. The original strength was to be a half company of 130 O.R.s.  The 32nd Company was formed with the idea that it took responsibility for the construction, repair and maintenance of the rolling stock running on the British lines.

Julian

• 11 months later...

Andy,

I have photographed 17 Fd Coys War Diaries at PRO and could send them to you if you can accept a WeTransfer file or similar.  Quite how readable they are is another matter.

PM me with your email if interested

Julian