Remembered Today:

Black Watch help required

Tyneside Chinaman

Gents,

I picked up the attached photo yesterday, It was posted to Lincolnshire from Perth in November 1922.

The three junior officers wear War & Victory and the man on the right who I think is the RSM wears the MC, 1914 Star Trio with a mention and LSGC. but what about the three senior officers.

Is it possible they can be identified?

regards

John

post-27843-0-80213800-1403769141_thumb.j

It appears that the two right hand men have been cut off.

resized attached.

John

post-27843-0-82446700-1403769580_thumb.j

From Horsegunner on the Black Watch Site

"Looks like it might be Wellshill Cemetery, in Perth. If it is it could be the funeral of Col.P.J.C Livingstone. He died in August 1922 and was buried there. The Red Hackle states that his funeral was well attended by the Depot. I also found a death intimation in the PA asking as many members of the Association as possible to attend.
RSM C. Scott, MC came back to the UK late 1921 on a posting to the Depot, so I think that might be him in the photo.
I might make it up to Wellshill tomorrow during dinner time, if I can I will see if I can find the grave".

Hope this helps

Armagh,

Please pass on my thanks to Horsegunner, the information about the funeral and RSM Scott is much appreciated.

regards

John

Hi,

It looks that way also MID twice as a CQMS in Feb 1915 and as RSM in June 1916.

I still can not get away with the new search on the London Gazette.

Thanks foe the info on the MC looks like a New Years honour so no citation.

regards

John

Yes the RSM is the legendary Charlie Scott. He was RQMS (QMS) when he was mentioned. I think Charlie Scott took over as RSM early 1915.

The tall officer on the left is Major Wullie Fowler. Members of The Black Watch Sergeants Mess may recall his photo in the Mess Dining room.
The following is a short summary of his service:

Enlisted, 14th July, 1884. Promoted Corporal, 19th June, 1886. Promoted Sergeant, 21st April, 1889. Promoted Colour-Sergeant, 27th July, 1894. Sergeant-Major, 27th September, 1898. Lieutenant and Quartermaster, 14th January, 1911. Captain, lst January, 1916. Major, 1st January, 1919. Three times mentioned in despatches.
Medals and decorations—O.B.E.,M.C., Queen's South African Medal, King George V. Coronation Medal, 1914 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal, Long Service
and Good Conduct Medal.

Both Scott and Fowler served throughout the war in the 1st Battalion.

I never made it to the cemetery today, but will try next week to see if I can locate the site. Major Fowler is mentioned in a write up as having also attended the funeral of Col Livingston, so it does seem like we have a good match and location and it fits with time frame.