Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Research Help, Advise needed please

giff

Hello, I am trying to track down the service records for one William Henry Ford who was an Airlinesman with the Royal Engineers. I have his M I card but whenever I do a search for his Service record using his service number etc I don't seem to be able to find anything. Does this mean the records don't exist or am I perhaps doing something wrong? The research is on behalf of my father who recently bought his medals at a local auction and would love to know more about this mans service and history

Thanks

Chris

What's his number Chris?

Sadly the majority of the service records were destroyed by German bombing in the Second World War, so the odds are that they don't exsit any more

Hi, Its 152553 and his name is William Henry Ford (sapper). I know he was born in 1897 and was employed as a Airlinesman in the Royal Engineers, the papers that came with the medals also show he was employed by the GPO before the war and seems to have been paid a retainment wage by them whilst he was serving which seems unusual. All the paperwork we have is for his life post war in Lincolnshire but have no knowledge where he was born I'm afraid.

Hope you can help

Thank you

Chris

No papers that I can see I'm afraid.

Rgds

Tim D

This may be a stretch as it presumes he was born in Lincolnshire and was living in Doncaster (where his younger sister was born) at the 1911 census and returns post-war to Lincolnshire:

Name: William Henry Ford

Age in 1911: 14

Estimated birth year: abt 1897

Relation to Head: Son

Birth Place: Dogsthorpe, Peterborough

Civil Parish: Doncaster

County/Island: Yorkshire-West Riding

Street address: 27 Elsworths T Doncaster

Registration district: Doncaster

Registration District Number: 512

Sub-registration district: Doncaster

ED, institution, or vessel: 12

Piece: 28201

Household Members: Name Age

William Ford

Isabella Ford

William Henry Ford

Edith Ford

Post Office appointment books are available on Ancestry, they may actually give you more useful information, and with that you may be able to find more information in the British Postal Museum and Archives - they hold staff and pension records, and also things like staff magazines which I understand often included reports of those on war service.

This may be a stretch as it presumes he was born in Lincolnshire and was living in Doncaster (where his younger sister was born) at the 1911 census and returns post-war to Lincolnshire:

Name: William Henry Ford

Age in 1911: 14

Estimated birth year: abt 1897

Relation to Head: Son

Birth Place: Dogsthorpe, Peterborough

Civil Parish: Doncaster

County/Island: Yorkshire-West Riding

Street address: 27 Elsworths T Doncaster

Registration district: Doncaster

Registration District Number: 512

Sub-registration district: Doncaster

ED, institution, or vessel: 12

Piece: 28201

Household Members: Name Age

William Ford

Isabella Ford

William Henry Ford

Edith Ford

Thanks very much for the detective work, it certainly all seems to fit, especially his occupation. Gives me another lead to follow!

Thanks

Chris

Post Office appointment books are available on Ancestry, they may actually give you more useful information, and with that you may be able to find more information in the British Postal Museum and Archives - they hold staff and pension records, and also things like staff magazines which I understand often included reports of those on war service.

Thank you for that, I will see if I can look anything up through Ancestry and perhaps write to the postal museum, thanks for the advise!

Chris

No papers that I can see I'm afraid.

Rgds

Tim D

Thank for looking Tim, I have a few leads that I can follow thanks to the Forum so fingers crossed

Thank you

Chris

Chaps

Among my collection are a couple of ex-Lincs Regt lads who went onto the RE and have similar numbers.

It looks like these men went from Infantry regiment service to their pre-war occupations.

150334 Frederick S Williams, 153345 Thomas Costello and one or two others went back to driving locomotives on the railway.

Mr Ford could be linked to the Railway RE. The Doncaster, Peterborough and telegraphy links are there.

Just a thought.

Dick W