Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI US Uniform Patch -Please HELP ID

Romagne1918

Can anyone assist me in identifying this WWI US unit patch? Thanks and cheers.

It might well be connected with the 5th (US) Infantry Division, nicknamed in WW1 the Red devils.

It might well be connected with the 5th (US) Infantry Division, nicknamed in WW1 the Red devils.

Have you seen this patch before, on a 5th Div uniform? Are you sure it is not one of the regiments of the 26th (Yankee) Div? Thanks

Have you seen this patch before, on a 5th Div uniform? Are you sure it is not one of the regiments of the 26th (Yankee) Div? Thanks

No I cannot be sure - that is why I said "might". The 5th (US) Div had that nickname and so it seemed to me that it might be some subsidiary unit.

I don't think it is the 26th (US) Div, who used the enclosed shoulder patch.

post-599-0-40939800-1403637846_thumb.jpg

The 5th ID official patch was a red diamond, often referred to as "Red Diamond" division (this was one of the earlier formation signs used on Divisional baggage prior to departing the US in May 1918)

I have not seen this (devil) patch previously and it does not appear in the 1919 National Geographic volume with all the divisional patches at the time)

The 26th Div was made up of

101, 102, 103, 104 Infantry Battalions

101, 102, 103 Machine Gun Battalions

101 Trench Mortar battalion

101, 102, 103 Field Arty

Plus 101 Engineers, Signals, HQ troops

and 101 ammunition, supply, engineer and sanitary trains.

I do not know of any insignia associated with these units.

Chris

EDIT

I have not seen the Devil nickname in association with the 5th Div. In the 1919 National Geographic guide they are referred to as the Red Diamond Div, similarly in Castelbled's History of the AEF (1937)

Edited by 4thGordons

Just had a thought - I wonder if it might be an AERO squadron insignia

I believe the 186 Aero Squadron had a devil insignia

Chris

The 5th ID official patch was a red diamond, often referred to as "Red Diamond" division (this was one of the earlier formation signs used on Divisional baggage prior to departing the US in May 1918)

I have not seen this (devil) patch previously and it does not appear in the 1919 National Geographic volume with all the divisional patches at the time)

The 26th Div was made up of

101, 102, 103, 104 Infantry Battalions

101, 102, 103 Machine Gun Battalions

101 Trench Mortar battalion

101, 102, 103 Field Arty

Plus 101 Engineers, Signals, HQ troops

and 101 ammunition, supply, engineer and sanitary trains.

I do not know of any insignia associated with these units.

Chris

EDIT

I have not seen the Devil nickname in association with the 5th Div. In the 1919 National Geographic guide they are referred to as the Red Diamond Div, similarly in Castelbled's History of the AEF (1937)

Yes you are quite right Chris and I did type out in my first post about the red diamond patch, but through some time-out glitch lost it.

The Red Devils connotation apparently comes from the following anecdote:

It was during WWI that the 5th Infantry Division adopted their shoulder patch, the red diamond, and their nom de guerre. German soldiers during the St. Mihiel campaign called the American soldiers "Die rote teufel," which means "red devils."

http://www.militaryvetshop.com/History/5thID.html

This is now advertised on eBay as 5th Anti-Aircraft MG Battalion.

This is now advertised on eBay as 5th Anti-Aircraft MG Battalion.

Presumably the 5th (AA) MG battalion were a part of the 5th Div?

Presumably the 5th (AA) MG battalion were a part of the 5th Div?

Actually I don' think so.

The AAMG battalions were late war units and appear a bit odd. They seem to have bee attached and detached at different times (IIRC only the 1st and 2nd AAMGB served at the front, the others were still forming and training at the Armistice)

The official 5th Div OrBat. does not list the 5 (AA)MG B anywhere and it is not listed amongst the attached/detached units that I can see.

There was another AAMG patch on here recently but I can't find the thread.

Chris

Actually I don' think so.

The AAMG battalions were late war units and appear a bit odd. They seem to have bee attached and detached at different times (IIRC only the 1st and 2nd AAMGB served at the front, the others were still forming and training at the Armistice)

The official 5th Div OrBat. does not list the 5 (AA)MG B anywhere and it is not listed amongst the attached/detached units that I can see.

There was another AAMG patch on here recently but I can't find the thread.

Chris

OK thanks Chris, the provenance all seems a bit vague then.

• 6 years later...

This is indeed the insignia of the 5th Anti-Aircraft Machine Gun Battalion, of which my Granfather, Fred T. Malone was a Sergeant and Section leader (21 soldiers, 18 of which were 9 man squads each manning a Hotchkiss Mle 1914)

Here is what Corporal (and cartoonist) Chester "Chet" Hahn included in the official 5th AAMGB Souvenir Booklet:

1790526195_HahnAlbumRedDevilcartoonSMALL.jpg.49a2d294d572c89cd98c33d1f3facdee.jpg

Here is the actual insignia on Sgt. Fred T Malone:

666488816_MaloneSgtFredTSMALL.jpg.f3a72c8cc8456e22c7eaf53bc7360862.jpg

Hahn Album Red Devil cartoon SMALL.jpg

Malone Sgt Fred T SMALL.jpg