Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Valiant Hearts. PS4 Game. The future ?

Hello all,

I am interested to hear your thoughts on the latest form of WW1 media in form of a computer game released either today or tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3117914807&feature=iv&src_vid=C_NCU-1Dxd4&v=WYMzrhJ7bhY

I am quite confused if this is a good idea or a bad idea. For myself I would probably play this game being of that age but also back it up with further reading for example the battles. It seems this game does contain some WW1 information/ fact sheets within it.

Interested to hear your view toward this game.

I have been following the development of this game with some interest. Interesting that the game developers actually used their own ancestor's first hand accounts from the Great War to develop this game. From:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27826762

From what I have read, the developers took great pains not to try and glamorize or glorify war, but not yet having seen the game, not sure if they accomlished that or not.

-Daniel

Not Great war but WW2 just found out that "Call of Duty" includes "Sgt Jack Evans" as a major player.............He is my grandfather! He was a commisioned officer, the facts fit roughly insome of the games. So he gets reduced to NCO and placed in situations he was not in. The game developers have confirmed he is the Jack Evans. However historical accuracy takes 2nd place to gameplay or a good story.

Wowsers! Payed C.o.D. many an hour, how did they end up picking your grandad?!

I'm gonna be blatantly ageist here and say I can't see many of the forum regulars here being gamers too :P

I have been watching the game with great interest. I played the original Call of Duty and loved it its amazing to find out how they picked your Grandfather.

They released Valiant Hearts today and I have been watching some of the gameplay. It looks very educations and really illustates a lot of what I have read recently. Obviously they include the typical gaming experience.

The game seems to have put this view of war being hell. Seeing some of the pictures and gameplay seems to give these moments, I think a very human element exists in this game.

I'm gonna be blatantly ageist here and say I can't see many of the forum regulars here being gamers too :P

Ye wee nyaff ye! Whit's wrang wi' a grand game o' bools or dominoes? Or musical chairs at Hogmanay? Bairns these days dinnae ken hoo tae hae a guid time unless they're plugged intae the mains. Ah'm suggestin' tae the Mods that we raise the lower age limit tae 60. That's ye scunnered. Noo, awa an smoke yir haddies.

A polite reminder - we're not actually in Skindles here....yet

My previous (edited) comment, for those lucky enough to have seen it might lead people to think I'm a bit of a techno-phobe. Half-right.

I acquired Call of Duty for the Wii (is that how it's spelt?) and love it. Mindless shoot-em-up fun for kids and middle-aged blokes suffering some form of crisis.

This, however, looks more like an adventure game, of the sort much-loved by Mrs Broomfield, but dressed up to jump on a ruddy great bandwagon called "Centenary". The limited amount i saw on the walk-through looked as if it could have been in Middle Earth, Valhalla or Gotham City - levers to raise and lower hoists, dogs collecting stick grenades, etc, etc. What has any of this to do with the Great War?

I'd say if you like adventure games (I don't) and don't object to a GW theme, then fine, but if you're looking for a proper Great war game ... no.

Put CoD into a trench warfare scenario and it could be whizzo fun. I'd buy it (for the Wii, obviously. I'm not spending proper money on this stuff).

Ye wee nyaff ye! Whit's wrang wi' a grand game o' bools or dominoes? Or musical chairs at Hogmanay? Bairns these days dinnae ken hoo tae hae a guid time unless they're plugged intae the mains. Ah'm suggestin' tae the Mods that we raise the lower age limit tae 60. That's ye scunnered. Noo, awa an smoke yir haddies.

Quite.

Haddies now smoked, and made into a pate num num.

Anyone had a chance to play it yet?

I suppose WW1 is merelt a setting for a game that's nothing new approach wise in the world of games.

Although I must confess this subject did come up once in the pub, we talk all manner of mince there, where a WW1 game would include each chapter with a posting to different corps: balloon corps, artillery, tanks, infantry, R.E. and R.F.C. with the most interesting being the tunnellers where underground hand to hand combat in the dark would be interesting....

I took the plunge yesterday to buy it. After many hours of trying to get it to work I was told that the game company had not confirmed some game codes to retailers. Having got a refund today I tried again. It seems to be downloading.

I don't think in any game marketed to a certain audience that you will get full authenticity but in some of the scenes I have seen on you tube it seems to illustrate some things that I have read.

In a scene there is a private burying a body and you have to drag a cross to put in the grave. All very graphic yet it illustrates some of what actually went on.

Not fully realistic yet to a degree I think in the way it shows off this unforgotten war to a generation of gamers maybe it does have some merits.

I will download and have a look.

Is it available on PS3? I don't see me forking out for a PS4 for a while yet..if ever!

It's is in the PS3 I decided to get one of these PS4s my PS3 was on the brink.

My first thoughts on the game are wow. There is a little fact file which tells you about various battles or other such trivia from the Great War. It's a great game that illustrates so many experiences that a soldier must of faced during the war.

Although to a degree there is a ridiculous plot line of chasing an evil German in a Zeppelin. As well as some of the puzzles where you have to pull levers or what seems like a secret laboratory where all the gas is coming from but to a degree I think this is made for an average gamer and doesn't detract from the experience.

Around the map you will find little items from dog tags to whistles with an explanation of what they were used for. I think this is a great educational tool and I enjoy playing and then actually reading both about the battles or the true inspirations behind a certain mission in a game.

Obviously there are some parts which are purely designed for fun. But there is a very well written story behind this and although not accurate in many ways it does well illustration some of the emotions and experiences a soldier must have gone though. I think the could of easily released this game at a price tag of £40 so it's a bargain at £11.99. It's the first WW1 themed game that's been released for public consumption I only know of a few others that are PC mods.

But I'm not really an avid gamer well that's nots strictly true as I did preorder Sniper Elite 3 to get another game for the PS4.

Would be interesting to hear other peoples thoughts.

I have played a couple of hours of Valiant Hearts on the PS3.

I must admit that I would lap up anything WW1 related at this time. It really is pretty atmospheric and has a lovely art style. The puzzles are pretty straightforward and the story may not win an Oscar but it does take show you the horrors of war and you do get invested in the main 4 characters. I want to get my kids to play it so they understand more about the war.

As a big softy however, I can almost guarantee that I will be crying by the end of it.

I have to agree. I also like how they have integrated a lot of background infomation to the missions. I had to restart the game and its great to play and then read the historical aspect. I think for the price too. But maybe we will see more WW1 games on the market in the future.

I downloaded the game for the PC and played it for a few hours this afternoon. I like the artwork of the graphics, and I've enjoyed the stories so far. I haven't really read any of the historical articles yet, but like the fact that they are there should the player wish some further reading. As someone interested in the First World War; I like it, and it's not as if we're overwhelmed with FWW themed computer games so we can't really afford to be too picky. I just wish there was a bit more to it as it does seem a bit too simple, and a bit repetitive. I'm probably being a bit unfair there though, having been spoiled by games like Skyrim, World of Warcraft etc, where the level of game play, detail, progression etc is immense.

Overall, I'm quite happy considering the cost, but I wouldn't say it particularly blew my mind either.

I agree maybe some of the things expected of the player are abit simple. But then looking at the art work. I stood looking into the backgroud of the Battle of Neuve Chapelle and saw all these details I think it really illustrated it well.

I did buy Sniper Elite 3 and I have been playing Valiant Hearts and Sniper Elite 3 side by side. And I like the differences that both games present in honesty. I think it possibly may open the flood gates for future WW1 games.

I dabble in game playing now and then but my attention span for these things is fairly minimal, I downloaded Battlefield 1918 which is a mod of Battlefield 1942, it`s ok but a bit sterile. There is a game called Verdun but it`s only available on something called Steam ?, I did come across this the other day which looks quite good....http://www.thetrench1916.com/

I had also seen the Trench 1916 although it's been in development for years. I wonder if they are still going to release it. I tend to stick more to console gaming these days.

An interesting question what would your idea if a good WW1 game be ?

• 2 weeks later...

There is a rather good mod of 'Napoleon:Total War' called unsurprisingly ' the Great War Mod' on PC.

You will need NTW to play it naturally, but as that is a good game in its own right that shouldn't be a problem.

Current build is 5.0.

Release trailer is here:

It may be worth also searching youtube for game play videos of it in action to give yourself a flavour of the game. Sift through them as some players will make your teeth grind in frustration and rage.

• 7 months later...

Valiant Hearts won the BAFTA for Original Property at the British Academy Games Awards ceremony last night.

• 1 month later...

A friend just sent me this: http://www.verdungame.com/

Apparently released yesterday?

I have not played what I am told are called "First person shooters".....but the graphics at least look impressive (well in the 2 min glance)

Chris

Chris, these graphics are pretty poor actually.

Chris, these graphics are pretty poor actually.

Really? wow, well I was impressed... but then I have never actually delved into any of these games beyond looking at the adverts....where could I see "good" examples?

Chris