Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anybody live near Blackpool or Preston or visiting the area?

temptage

I have recently found another 'local' casualty who is buried in WILLOWS (ST. JOHN'S) ROMAN CATHOLIC CEMETERY, midway between Blackpool and Preston.

If anyone is able to get a photo from me, his details are as follows:

Private William Tinsley - south boundary

Please note, this is the Cemetery opposite the Churchyard.

Many thanks

Tony

Is it this one at Kirkham? The Willows is part of the address if it is. http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Kirkham/StJohnTheEvangelist.shtml

I can get there a week on Saturday, no problem. My shift rota means I only have next Sunday off before then.

Thats the one Berenice. As and when will be fine. No rush.

Thanks

Thanks Colin.

Herewith , not a very good tablet, well worn, one of two (Manchester reg't. other one, odd lonely location)

Colin.

post-25203-0-28708700-1403798099_thumb.j

Thanks Colin. Would you be able to email me the original photo as it always shrinks when adding it on here. I will PM you my email address.

By all means Tim, these two graves at Kirkham are very remote & would appear to be untended, I will visit them again.

Regards.

Colin.

Tim, I have all the Manchester's in Grimsby and Cleethorpes Cemeteries, 5 in Grimsby and 30 in Cleethorpes (including 25 in a mass grave)

I noticed neither of the Cemeteries are mentioned in the list on Flickr.

Tim,

Do you have any details of Pte. Judge, I still can't get on to CWGC, That raid where the Manchesters lost many men was unknown to me, the site was very interesting .

Cheers.

Colin.

The interesting part of this post is that it all runs back to Cleethorpes! Michael served with the 3rd Battalion at Cleethorpes.

His Service Record is also online showing enlistment in 11th (K1 Service) Bttn 9641 (330713) on 29/9/14 aged 21. Michael was 5'11" and previously employed as a moulder. He went to Med Expeditionary Force on 6/7/15, landing 6/8/15 and was wounded with a Gun Shot Wound to the back (other notes suggest knee & Shin) in Gallipoli before Hospital treatment in Alexandria 13/8/15. He returned Home on 24/9/15 when he was treated in a Bristol Hospital until 26/11/15. Following convalescence he posted to 3rd Bttn for Home Service on 9/12/15 before the attachment to the Labour Corps on 30/6/17. He died in a Grimsby Hospital at 1pm on 7/10/17. The Medical notes are difficult to interpret - dyspenaic - but there seems to have been breathing issues.

Remembered here

JUDGE, MICHEAL Rank: Private Service No: 9641 Date of Death: 07/10/1917 Age: 29 Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment 3rd Bn. transf. to (330173) 506th Home Service Employment Coy. Labour Corps Grave Reference South boundary. Cemetery WILLOWS (ST. JOHN'S) ROMAN CATHOLIC CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Thomas Judge, of 112, Marsden St., Kirkham, Preston.

Many thanks Tim,

It really is a strange coincidence regarding Pte. Judge. Was it normal for a "home" death to be re.located to place of residence ?

Regards.

Colin.

Hi Colin,

I've seen examples where men were buried by their families in their home town and then the Cleethorpes (keeps coming back) graves of the Manchester men confirm that many men were buried close to the place they died. I don't know what made the difference, but speculate families would have to pay to bring soldiers home and this option may not have been available for the disasters like the Zeppelin raid.

T

• 6 years later...

Good Morning

Forgive the intrusion as this is slightly off topic.

I have recently been researching my family history and I believe that Private William Tinsley was my late grandmothers first husband and father of my mothers two eldest siblings.

Therefore I was wondering if you know of any connection that Private Tinsley has with Grimsby, ( you refer to him as another 'local' casualty.), as we are trying to find a reason for my grandmother, (born in Battersea), being in Grimsby where she remarried and remained for the rest of her life.

5 hours ago, Chesterboy said:

5827EEAA-B890-4B93-A62D-5D1591FC58CC.jpeg

Page 56. Soldiers died in the Great War 1914 - 1919 Part 44, The Prince of Wales’s Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment). 

I have him as a local because he is named on the Grimsby St James Kalender, the local Parish Church Book of Remembrance.

A lot of men and their families from all over the country came to Grimsby for the fishing trade. Huge numbers employed before WW1.

Also interesting to note that even though there are several records online stating he was born in Grimsby, there is no birth record for a William Tinsley in or around the Grimsby area between 1860 and 1900

Edited by temptage

Temptage

Thank you so much.

We believe he was born in Preston to John and Mary Tinsley.  His parents were living in Kirkham at the time of his death.

Again thank you

CB

Chesterboy

Many thanks, thats fantastic.

If I may impose upon you again could you please explain what the Barnsley reference means has we can place my Grandmother  in Barnsley at the time of the 1911 census.

Most appreciated

CB

The 'e.' before Grimsby is where he enrolled. It could be that Barnsley had had its quota filled for signing up so was sent to Grimsby to enrol. As previously mentioned, a very large percentage of men living in or from Grimsby either signed up or were already serving in the fishing fleet, many of which went on to serve on the armed trawlers or minesweepers, leaving many available numbers for soldiers to enrol.

Grimsby had large numbers enrolling from Durham, Walsall, Nottingham and across Yorkshire