Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Battalion Hampshire Regiment (Pioneers) War Diary

Sam_martin82

Hi guys

I have the War Diary for the above Regiment.

If anybody needs any details please contact me? I am happy to share and will be even happier if you can help me transcribing the diaries please?

Thankyou very much

Sam

• 1 year later...

Hi Sam,

Have a GG who was in the 11th Battalion Hampshires - Pte. Frank Ernest Squibb #11339, who apparently left with the 11th disembarking in LeHarve on the 19th Dec 1915.

I've only just started the process to find out more, follow where he went & the job that he & the battalion completed for the 16th Division.

Would love to see the war diary & would be very happy to help you in transcribing it.

Scott

• 8 months later...

Hi Sam, I have just received my Grandfathers WW1 war medals and some bits and bobs which as far as I can tell relate to his service with the 11th Hampshire Pioneers (now me being an Ex Royal Engineer this disturbed me a little but I will get over it).

I have several medals in the name of 11316 Sgt S A Millage and there is also a small A5 bit of paper headed The Irish Brigade and signed by a Major-General W B Hickie saying what a good job Millage did in 1916 -1917.

I wonder if your history could shed a little more light on his service as he passed away when I was 6 and I never knew until last weekend that he had indeed served.

It also turns out that he spent the second world war with the home guard in Warwickshire finishing up as CSM with his unit.

I don't hold out much hope of further info as it was along time ago and I'm sure he was just a small piece on the field but if you can assist or point me in another direction I would be most greatfull

Regards

Dave Millage

• Admin

Dave, 

Welcome the forum.

The originator of this thread has not visited since December 2015.  If you don't want to wait you can download the diary from TNA for £3.45

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352839

or it can be accessed on Ancestry if you subscribe. 

Stanley Millage landed in France with the main body of the 11th Bn on the 18th December 1915.

They were previously in Dublin which in 1914 was 'Home' and were only required to keep a diary in a theatre of war.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/hampshire-regiment/

Suggest you take a look at the Long Long Trail 'research a soldier' link top right.

His service record does not appear to have survived though you may be able to get his Home Guard record from Glasgow.  I don't know if they have survived.

He was awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre London Gazette 12 July 1918. 

Ken

Hi Dave,

Near numbers show 11303 enlisted 13th September 1914, and 11350; 11353; 11375; 11379; and 11380 all enlisting on the 14 September 1914.

Regards

Chris

Ken I appreciate the info above but having purchased the record it would appear that this search is going to be a time sink.

How did you manage to capture the info you gave me on Sgt Millage so quickly as I can find nothing in respect of embarcation and Belgian award. Am I looking in the wrong places.

Advice much appreciated

Regards

Dave

• Admin

His embarkation date, or date entered theatre is shown on his medal index card which I believe are free to download on Ancestry, confirmed in the 14-15 Star roll

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/1262/30850_A001081-02374?pid=3776743&backurl=http://search.ancestry.co.uk//cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc%3DpCk3%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26gsfn%3DStanley%20%26gsfn_x%3D0%26gsln%3DMillage%26gsln_x%3D0%26cpxt%3D1%26cp%3D11%26MSAV%3D1%26uidh%3Dyi4%26gss%3Dangs-c%26pcat%3D39%26h%3D3776743%26recoff%3D9%2010%26db%3DMedalRolls%26indiv%3D1%26ml_rpos%3D3&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=pCk3&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true

The link to the LLT shows the Bn landed in France the same date so QED he landed with the main body.  Chris's research shows he enlisted when the Battalion was formed as part of K2, or Kitckener's 2nd Army.  In fact September saw the peak recruitment of  volunteers as news of German 'atrocities' and fierce fighting filtered through.

As for the Croix de Guerre it came up on a search on FMP on further investigation, apologies that was Charles Millage Worcestershire Regiment. Sorry, should have double checked.

Ken

• 3 months later...

Hi Sam

I am seeking information on Ernest E Chapman Private 15686 11th Hampshire Regiment b. Southampton 1881.  Enlisted 1/3/15 - date to France 19/12/15.  He had the 14/15 Star, General service and Victory medals.  He was badly gassed & discharged with a Silver War Badge No 266022 on 8/11/17.  He reputedly was a Lewis gunner.  What makes him unusual is that he was subsequently awarded the Merchant Navy Medal before the war ended.  My friend, his son Tony Chapman, mentions in his WW2 Memoir The War of The Motor Gun Boats that an old comrade used to come down from Birmingham bearing gifts out of gratitude for what Tony's father did for him during the war.  I suspect that he was involved in the action at Ginchy 9/916 as it is recorded that four extra Lewis Guns were detailed for the 11th Hampshire attack as part of the 16th Div. attack on Ginchy.  He was a virtual invalid for the rest of his life due to gas damage to his lungs and stomach.  I would like to be able to give Tony, now 92, some more info about his father's service.

A Fairchild

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am researching the activities of the 11th Battalion, I have the War Diary and I am particularly interested in their part in the conflict on the Somme, and details of those killed or wounded in action. I am in the process of recording all this, with a view of lodging it with the Hants Regiment Museum (and online).

The 11th Battalion,  was raised at Winchester in September 1914 as part of Kitchener's Second New Army. They moved straight to Dublin, to join 16th (Irish) Division as Army Troops. They were based at Mullingar in September and converted to Pioneers in December 1914. They moved then to Kilworth in March 1915. Being attached as they were to 16th Irish Division, at Kilworth they led in the construction of a huge training area, complete with trenches, both 'British' and 'German' ... along with dug-outs, bunkers, etc. This gave them training in 'Pioneer' activities .. and created the largest true-to-life training area created for WW1, for the Divisision infantry units to practice in. From there they left for Aldershot for final training in September 1915.

They left England from Southampton, landing at Le Havre on two troopships on the 18th and 19th of December 1915, at which time the War Diary begins, giving the facts of their daily activities, in detail.

Dave, my grandfather (Oliver Crundwell 11426)  too was with the 11th, a Sergeant who was with them from start to finish, and survived the war, though he too was gassed, and though a Londoner (Lewisham) ,,, through work moves, he also ended up an officer in the Warwickshire Home Guard WW2 - so I guess he and your grandfather would have known each other.

regards

rVictor

Soldiers Died in the Great War lists 130 deaths from the 11th Hants. Ancestry UK.

My local Central Library (Southampton) also has a Hampshire Regiment book on it's deaths for each Battalion in that War.

Edited by sotonmate

Is anyone still active with regard to research on the 11th Battalion Hampshire Pioneers?

I am engaged on transcribing the war diary and wondered who above is also (still) doing this, as it is a bit of a task, one that is better shared.

• 1 month later...
On 22/02/2017 at 11:35, Rvictor said:

Is anyone still active with regard to research on the 11th Battalion Hampshire Pioneers?

I am engaged on transcribing the war diary and wondered who above is also (still) doing this, as it is a bit of a task, one that is better shared.

You may wish to contact Colin Bulleid at the Royal Hampshire Regiment Museum as they now have transcribed copies of all their WW1 War Diaries including, I believe, 11th Battalion (Pioneers). May save you a task.

Marc

Thanks Marc,

I met Colin Bulleid at Winchester a few weeks back and he was most helpful. I have the transcript now.

regards

Ron T