Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal search

Lindsey

I have downloaded medal index cards but would now like to know how i may possibly trace my grandfathers war medals that no one in the family knows what happened to them?/ His name was James Fletcher Graydon, Durham Light Infantry. Any ideas friends out there??

Lindsey

There are many online medal dealers that have lists that you can look through.

You could set up a 'favourit' search on ebay for 'medal graydon' and that will mail you if anything comes up.

You can look on speedbid which is an online auction place for medals and stuff.

And also you could put a 'want' on forum member Derek's most excellant site. Dereks plaque and medal site

There are several ways to go about looking but its a lottery really.

I am looking for medals primarily to Perrott but and interested in anything involving P*rr*tt (sub the * for vowel). I have so far found one victory medal for a Marine bandsman on my list of 297 men but i am still looking :)

I hope you have success in your quest

Regards

Leigh

Lindsey,

There are also a couple of sites set up such as medaltracker.com and medalfind.com.

Andy

Thanks for the leads and really appreciate your help as I really was unsure where to start. i'll let you know if I have any luck!!

Also, another question??

I would like to find out my Granfathers Regimental No as know one in the family seems to know that.. any ideas??

Lindsey

Lindsey, do you mean Pte. Graydon's Regimental number? If you do, they were #23797 while he was with the Durham Light Infantry and #135485 when a member of the Royal Army Medical Corps.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I have downloaded medal index cards but would now like to know how i may possibly trace my grandfathers war medals that no one in the family knows what happened to them?/ His name was James Fletcher Graydon, Durham Light Infantry. Any ideas friends out there??

Lindsey

Another way is to search the OMRS website and search for a DLI collector/collectors - there may be a 'market roll' available.

Chris, Thanks for the info re James Graydons regiment no's but I am puzzled. Family history has handed down a belief that he was a RSM in the Durham Light Infantry, but never served abroad??. However, I can only find reference to a James Graydon being a Private with the Durham Light Infantry as you have done. He had a middle name, of Fletcher and the medal index card makes no reference to it. If I could locate a date of birth in reference to the medal index card, I would be able to identify it as him, or not as the case may be. How would I find this info out??

Of course, as the history of his time in the war has been handed down through the family, it could be that it has been embelished, to promote him to a higher rank!! James had 11 children, my father being the youngest and he died two years ago, so there is no one left to ask, which is sad and frustrating. Any further ideas would be gratefully apreciated.

Also, another thing I have thought about was that he came from a working class family, and I wonder how he could possibly have achieved the rank of RSM without ever serving abroad?? I dont know much at all about the RAMC having soldiers serving here in England, if they did at all??

Lindsey

Thanks for the info re James Graydons regiment no's but I am puzzled. Family history has handed down a belief that he was a RSM in the Durham Light Infantry, but never served abroad??.

Lindsey

Lindsey

If he never served abroad he will not have won the War & Victory Medals and unless he was discharged with a Silver War Badge he will not be on the Medal Index Cards so your family legend about his rank could be true.

Steve

Thanks Steve for that valuable peice of info. Now I have alittle more knowledge as to the Medal index!!

Lindsey