Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jim Wood 16 King's Royal Rifle Corps

David_Blanchard

I am trying to find out more information about a Jim or Jimmy Wood who served in the 16 KRRC.

I have been sent a number of group photographs from a relative of Frank Baylis which also feature Jim Wood.

Frank Baylis son thinks that Jimmy Wood possibly came from Yorkshire and he also gives the following information:

"Most likely taken in France, Jimmy Wood was often mentioned by him and I feel sure they were

together when my dad was shot by a sniper whilst digging trenches.

The words 'ee, I thought thee were dead Frank' were apparently spoken by Jimmy, more than once at reunions. My dad also visited Jimmy after WW2."

I have found two J Wood on Ancestry with similar service numbers to Frank Baylis, but both were killed in the war.

So I would appreciate any help in trying to trace the Jimmy Wood who attended a number of reunions of the 16 KRRC.

David

Have you looked for a MiC for him? This should confirm his number. A lot of the KRRC MIC's don't show the battalion.

Yes found two MIC but both J Wood with similar numbers were killed as far as I can see..

I think 16 KRRC were known as Church Lads Brigade. What was the other mans number? The prefix may give a clue.

What was Woods birth name..James, Jim , Jimmy.

He was indeed in the CLB battalion his name was Frank Baylis but MIC it is given as Frederick W Baylis C/ 942. Which is the 16 KRRC and there is also a SWB ref as well this time as Frank Wm Baylis C/942

The prefix is right! What was Baylis birth name..Frederick or Frank?

I am wondering about Woods maybe having used Jim instead of his first birth name?

Not knowing what info you have on them maybe a look at their civvy life pre war may help. Did they come from the same town? Could they have worked with each other?

The KRRC is one of the harder regiments to work out!

Frank Baylis was from Canterbury. Frank's son seems to think Jim Wood came from Hebden Bridge.

After the war Frank visited Jim Wood who he thinks owned a small factory in the Calderdale area - this may have been about 1947.

Is Jim Wood a relative of yours or is Frank Baylis?

Neither are but I received a number of photographs from Frank Baylis' son, which included Jimmy or Jim Wood.

I think you have a job on your hands!

Good luck.