Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adams. W Pte Royal Warwickshire- only a 1914/15 Star?

beardo88

Hi, I am researching the above chap, from the MIC looks like he entered ther war 22.3.1915, on the card shows him entitled to the 1914/15 Star, shows he was Dis'- assuming discharged.

He is not on the SWB records, no service or pension file, and from the MIC there is no notation against the BWM or Victory medals. My question is this- is it possible only to qualify for the 14/15 Star.

Why would he be discharged, but bot on SWB?

Never seen this before and am totally confused.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Cheers,

Tony

hello Tony

I found this in the B ham Daily Post 9 August 1916. His MIC indicates he was a Territorial. The date of the paper indicates a July Casualty possibly 1/6 or 1/8

Terry

post-66-0-30446500-1403420656_thumb.jpg

Probably another MIC out there. What was his number?

• Admin

According to the above paper clipping his number was 2851 and a MIC for this man and number exists for the Star only as per the OP.

He would have been entitled to the VM and BWM but it is not uncommon for these to be recorded on a second MIC. The trick is to find it.

Being in the TF, he would have received a 6-digit number so it might be recorded just under that number. He might have been transferred and his second MIC might not have recorded his RWR service and number(s), although I think that would be unusual. What was his first name?

Russ

Edit: There is a MIC for a William Adams, No 305517 (meaning he was 8th Bn RWR - and the date of 22/03/1915 on his Star MIC is the date the 8/RWR landed in France), BWM & VM - and who received an SWB. Could this be it?

Edit: William Bayliss had the numbers 2855 and 305520 and James Oldidge (or Ordidge) had 2852 and 305518, so it is probable that the man with 2851 had 305517.

Edit: His SWB record shows he enlisted 16/10/1914, discharged 12/06/1917 due to wounds.

• Admin

I think Russ has found him.

I've checked the medal roll itself and 305517 William Adams is the only W Adams on it who served in a TF unit and has no number which rules him out. His only service abroad was in the 1/8th Battalion. Unfortunately, his original TF number is not recorded on the roll.

Glen

Gents- thank you so much for this, the assistance you have given is much appreciated and helps fill in the gap brilliantly- I wondered about a 2nd MIC but had no idea how to go about finding it...it now all makes so much more sense....

Thanks again,

Best wishes,

Tony