Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Makers of WW1 Knives, Forks & Spoons

PhilB

(I have edited my first post)

Lan is definitely the regiment not his name. He was safely demobbed on 5.3.1919

I searched the medal index cards just for the number. There were quite a lot, but Finch is the only one in a Lancashire Regiment.

BillyH.

Brilliant - thank you so much.  So I assume I was right in thinking this is a WWI spoon.  Were they all this big?!  Also do you think the marker is MH & sons?

1 hour ago, Felicity said:

Brilliant - thank you so much.  So I assume I was right in thinking this is a WWI spoon.  Were they all this big?!  Also do you think the marker is MH & sons?

Probably MICHAEL HUNTER & SON, Talbot Works, 328 Saville St and Reed St, Sheffield (1884-1925). 

The horn is the maker’s motif and nothing to do with the man! Oddly, I don’t think LAN was the official shorthand for Lancashire Fusiliers but am happy with Billy’s answer. 

I stand to be corrected here but I thought LF was the official abbreviation for the Lancs Fus. I’m not aware of any regiment with the official abbreviation LAN but I think Billy’s solution is probably right. There’s not much consistency in WW1 adhesion to rules!

1 hour ago, PhilB said:

There’s not much consistency in WW1 adhesion to rules!

Particularly with spoons I suspect :)  His i.d. disc may have had LF on it though?

BillyH.

With regards to the LAN stamping, according to my go to source, it appears to be The Kings Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)…

http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/brit_bayo.html

The W /|\ D 2 is purely a war department issue stamp, always nice to see that on spoons/razors etc

Dave.

Oh no - it looks as though I might have headed down the wring hole perhaps!

Sorry to be so ignorant Phil - but what does that mean in terms of finding out more about who he is - as perhaps he isn't who I thought he was from Billy's initial information

Felicity,

I can’t see a medal index card for that number/regiment, meaning the chap never served overseas, the long long trail lists the battalions here, with a number of battalions staying at home so he is more than likely to have belonged to one of those.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/kings-own-royal-lancaster-regiment/

I have a number of these, and can’t sadly pin any down definitely to one chap with any certainty, but you have a great piece of personal kit that every Tommy would have had.

Dave.

It truly is a rabbit warren I have entered isn't it.  Thank you all so very much and Billy  - if you have any further information then I'd be delighted!

About Robert EvansEvans, Robert

Regimental No Rank Regiment
5542 - King'S Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)
5542 Robert Evans served with a militia battalion of the King'S Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) between 1850 and 1913 . There are papers for this man in army series WO 96 which you can access via the British Army Ancestors website, by clicking on the button below.

8 minutes ago, Felicity said:

Is this that I found incorrect then Dave66?

I only checked the ancestry medal index cards for that number Felicity so can’t say,

i am sure billy, as Phil has said, may be better placed to comment.

Dave.

17 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Looks like Billy has access to Ancestry - he may be able to find a record for him.

Ancestry brings up 35 medal cards to a number 5542 none of which are King's Own Royal Lancasters.

It is possible that it was his spoon from before the war, but it doesn't look as though the King's Own man served overseas in the war (no MIC)

I still favour the Lancashire Fusiliers. Incidentally his medal card shows the abbreviation of 'Lan Fus'. It means nothing really, but it backs up the Lan inscription on the spoon.

BillyH.

gwf.jpg.6e93e5c4f2a6e2bb95dc7dcc0c3710bf.jpg

21 minutes ago, Felicity said:

Is this that I found incorrect then Dave66?

The record you found is for a man who enlisted 19th October 1897.

He is subsequently recorded as “absent from embodiment 10/8/00”. 

I found the following online:-

“In the 1900s, Hunter’s acquired the assets of Parkin & Marshall and Slack & Grinold.  However, the company – now based in Reed Street – lost its dynamism.  By 1910, the assets had been acquired by Needham, Veall & Tyzack, and Walter Tyzack liquidated the company.  Hunter’s marks were later acquired by Slater.”

which may indicate that the spoon was made (and issued) well before WW1.

20 minutes ago, Felicity said:

sorry GWF - does that mean that it cannot be his spoon?  I am totally confused!

It means it may be his spoon🥄, but  , if so, he looks to have skipped off with his spoon after three years service. :thumbsup:

Edited by GWF1967

• 5 months later...

This spoon, in my family in Dublin for a long time, had a misleading story attached to it and I'm only now realising that it's a British Army issue.

W D with the arrow mark, T. Wilkinson & Sons Birmingham

LEIN9121

I think this means 1st Leinster Regiment and that that's a regimental rather than a soldier number. I've seen a scanned regimental record online which frustratingly shows numbers up to 9120 and the skips on. I'd like to trace a name. Thanks for any help anyone can offer

IMG_20211127_224605.jpeg

IMG_20211127_224625.jpeg

IMG_20211127_224710.jpeg

Sadly there is nothing for him on the medal rolls or the medal cards. This would suggest that he didn't serve overseas. I cannot find any service or pension papers for him either. He could have been pre-war but I don't think so.

BilyH.