Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pushed and the Return Push

Robert Dunlop

ISBN 1843421348

This is a fabulous book. It is written by a journalist, G Nichols, who also wrote the history of the 18th Division. In this book, he gives a detailed account of his time in 1918 as a liaison officer with the 82nd Brigade, RFA. The account is beautifully written. There is real drama in the description of the Brigade's involvement in the first few days of the German March offensive. Then Nichols describes the counter-attacks and eventual retreat of the German Army in the last 100 days. Lots of detail for those interested in late war field artillery, particularly from a command perspective.

The book ends dramatically. After months of almost callous indifference to the vicissitudes of war, Nichols is confronted with a personal experience that is deeply moving. I won't give away the details. But I highly recommend this book.

Robert

There is real drama in the description of the Brigade's involvement in the first few days of the German March offensive.

Robert you've got me interested, particularly as the book appears based on the German March offensive..

Where was the author situated during the initial German attacks?

Ta

Atholl

Nichols' Brigade was integral to 18th Division. So they were based just north of La Fere. He describes the turning of their right flank, the retreat across the Crozat Canal, then down through Tergnier towards Noyon. If you are interested in the March Offensive, this book is a must.

Robert