Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Dudley Francis De Crespigny Buckle

John Beech

Evening All

I am looking for information on this officer who served with 3rd Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers. He initially joined the regiment as a Second Lieutenant on 18th September 1895, was promoted to Lieutenant on 19th May 1897, but resigned his commission 18th February 1899.

His MIC lists him as landing on 13th August 1914, and him serving with 1st Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers. However, the War Diary has a list of those officers who landed with the Battalion in August 1914 and he is not listed amongst them.

His name does not appear amongst the named officer reinforcements that started to arrive in September, but he must have joined the Battalion sometime after 6th September when the first draft arrived.

There is a LG entry for 17th September 1914 saying he had been appointed a Lieutenant in 3rd Battalion, effective from 17th September 1914, so he may have joined from 3rd Battalion sometime after this date.

So what was he doing between 13th August and 17th September, if he was in France?

Buckle was wounded with 1st Battalion at Herlies on 20th October 1914 and during the war also served with 2nd Battalion being wounded a second time with them on 24th May 1915.

He appears to have returned to 3rd Battalion as LG has him relinquishing the rank of Temporary Major in the Special Reserve on 15th June 1916. He was appointed acting Major whilst serving as a Major on Headquarters of a Battalion 3rd September 1916.

He is next mentioned in the regimental history in 1918. In March 1918 he was a Major and back with 1st Battalion, acting as temporary battalion commander, after Lieutenant Colonel Moulton Barrett was wounded, and stayed in command until 26th May 1918 when he returned to the UK. He is listed as resigning his commission on account of ill health 24th May 1919, but by this time he had died of his wounds at home on 24th April 1919.

Regards

John

Hi John,

If you send me an email address via a PM then I can send you a fairly lengthy obituary and a photo of him.

Robert

Old Owl

Many thanks. email on its way

Regards

John

Robert

Many thanks. I am away from my computer until this evening but will come back to you when I have had the chance to look.

Regards

John

• 3 months later...

Dear "Old Owl", Im interested in seeing a copy of the "fairly lengthy obituary and photo" you have of Dudley Francis De Crespigny Buckle. He is listed on the WW1 memorial in Kandy, Ceylon/Sri Lanka, and was manager of what I assume to be a tea plantation called Chrystler's Farm. I wonder if the obituary gives any more detail on this? Are you able to add it on this thread? Thank you. Andrew Moberly

Dear "Old Owl", Im interested in seeing a copy of the "fairly lengthy obituary and photo" you have of Dudley Francis De Crespigny Buckle. He is listed on the WW1 memorial in Kandy, Ceylon/Sri Lanka, and was manager of what I assume to be a tea plantation called Chrystler's Farm. I wonder if the obituary gives any more detail on this? Are you able to add it on this thread? Thank you. Andrew Moberly

Hi Andrew,

If you can send me a P.M.(personal message)via the messaging system--click on the image to the left of one of my postings and this should bring up an option to send me a message--and include an email address, then I shall dig out the copies and send them on to you.

Robert

Hi Andrew,

Photos sent via email as requested.

Regards, Robert

• 1 month later...

Dear John Beech

I am Dudley Francis de Crespigny's grandson, indeed named after him, and came across your forum topic while researching my family's involvement in the Great War and other campaigns both before and since.

Sadly he died when my father was only 2,as a result of his wounds but ultimately the spanish flu I understand. My father, John Dudley Buckle, also a Northumberland Fusiler, died when I was 22, and so we never had a chance to talk about either of their roles, and as he was brought up by his mother and Aunts, he did not remember his father.

I would be most grateful if you could pass on any of your research, and the "extensive"obituary another member has forwarded to you as you appear to know a great deal more than I do. I'm new to this forum so am unsure wether that can be done by PM.

Very many thanks

Francis Dudley Buckle aka Frank.

Afternoon Frank

I am away from my records at present. Would need to check when back home.

Will gladly PM anything I have

Regards

John

Afternoon Frank

I sent you a PM last night as the information I have and the obit. are too large to load here. I suggested that if you send me an email address that I can send you the information off Forum.

I look forward to hearing from you

Regards

John