Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William & John Henry Stokes Duke of Wellinton's Regiment

jl1954

Hello

I have two brothers, William and John Henry Stokes.

Both are on the Meltham War Memorial in West Yorkshire.

Both were in the 1/5th Duke of Wellington's Regiment.

William's number was 240892. John Henry's number was 240230. This suggests they joined up together. John Henry's record suggests a birthplace of Hull.

Both died on 3rd September 1916.

Could anyone help with a background to these soldiers' family? I see that both lived in Meltham but I'm struggling to find anything in census records.

Thanks in advance

William's number was 240892. John Henry's number was 240230. This suggests they joined up together. John Henry's record suggests a birthplace of Hull.

Same Bn but quite possibly not signed up together - these numbers date from early 1917 when the men were re-numbered, to work out when they enlisted you'd really need to know their pre 1917 numbers.

Craig

Willliam's number was originally 3681
John's number was originally 2348

2718 8 Aug 1914
3030 5 Sep 1914
3448 15 Nov 1914

The SWB rolls show the enlistment dates above for other men - this would suggest John was a pre-war (or very early wartime) enlistment whereas William enlisted after November 1914

Craig

Thanks for that information. Most appreciated.

Does anyone have names of other family members which would allow me to tie them to the village of Meltham?

It's just a pity that Ancestry doesn't have service records for either of them available.

Hello

I have two brothers, William and John Henry Stokes.

Both are on the Meltham War Memorial in West Yorkshire.

Both were in the 1/5th Duke of Wellington's Regiment.

Both died on 3rd September 1916.

Could anyone help with a background to these soldiers' family? I see that both lived in Meltham but I'm struggling to find anything in census records.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

It may be that if you check the local Huddersfield? newspapers around the date of their deaths then you should find a mention which may tell you the names of other family members. Such as they were the sons of ---, or nephews of ---- of ---Street, Meltham. Usually photos are also attached.

Good Luck,

Robert

• 1 year later...

I have a photo of William Stokes war grave. It was next to the man I was researching as they died the same day, possibly in the same action. Contact me if you would like a copy

Wayne