Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Broodseinde Military Cemetery?

Ken Lees

The Broodseinde Military Cemetery was at the crossroads in the village (as shown on the attached map). Was it destroyed during later fighting or were the bodies removed from there and re-buried elsewhere?

If the bodies were moved, can anyone tell me where to?

Thanks,

Ken

post-927-0-06398200-1403121545_thumb.jpg

x

Hello,

The identified German bodies of both Broodseinde cemeteries were transferred to Menen. See my book about Menen Wald, mentioned also elsewhere on this forum.

Jan

Sorry, I should have said that it was an Australian soldier, Lance Basille (50th Bn) who was KIA 18th October, 1917.

His records show that he was "Buried at Military Cemetery Broodseinde Sh.28NE,D23c.3,5"

That map reference suggests he was buried in or very close to the German Cemetery.

The British soldiers, buried by the Germans on Broodseinde Cemetery (mostly from 1914-1916), were reburied in Perth Cemetery (China Wall). Lance Basille should have been buried outside of the original German cemetery and was probably taken to one of the concentration cemeteries (Tyne Cot?).

Ken,

I take it that he is George Basil Lance, now remembered on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial.

Phil

x

No, its Lance Basille - see post #5. (Don't try to tell me otherwise after I've wasted spent time searching for the Mr Basille and 59 variations of his surname. Any connection with somebody called George Basil LANCE who was in the same unit and died on the same date must be a coincidence).

Tom

Sorry Tom,

I cheated and looked up his service record.

Sorry Tom,

I cheated and looked up his service record.

x