Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service record - Posted to unit CRS. Confirm meaning of CRS

siberry8

My grandfather enlisted with the RFC in Nov 1915 as AM 2nd Class and was attached to CRS unit.

I would like to know meaning of CRS and where he might have been posted for his initial training.

He was dispatched to France on 13 February 1916 and he was a fitter.

He would have enlisted in Yorkshire since he transferred from the 2/5th West Yorkshire Btn

Are you sure its CRS and not CFS (Central Flying School)?

What was his name and RFC service number. I might have some information on him.

Rob.

Hi Rob,

thank you for posting a response on this.

My Grandfather was called Maurice Bishop and his RFC service number was 14063.

I have attached a copy of his record.

It looks to be CRS, although I wondered about CFS.

The 'C' compares well to the 'C' in C of E entered in Religion.

I would appreciate any help you can give.

Regards

Simon

post-92788-0-06032800-1403122416_thumb.j

Hi Simon,

The Administrative Wing Daily Routine Orders for December 1915 state that No.14063, 2/A.M., Bishop, M (Trade: Fitter, Rate of pay: 2s 0d, Terms: Ordinary Enlistment) was Posted from Recruits Depot to No.24 Squadron on 15 December 1915.

I don’t think he transferred to the R.F.C. but was discharged from the 2/5 West Yorkshire Regiment (T.F.) and then re-enlisted into the R.F.C. I think it had something to do with Terms of Service. A lot of Territorials did this. He is not shown in the Routine Orders as transferring to the R.F.C., and this would explain why.

In the book ‘A History of 24 Squadron’ by Capt. A.E. Illingworth he is not shown on the roll off men who served with the Squadron. Its possible he did not serve with the Squadron for long. His date of Posting overseas (13 Feb 16) does not correspond with 24 Squadron going overseas (7 Feb 16) also.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the meaning of C.R.S.

Rob.

Thank you Rob and nieuport11.

Could you let me know where 24 squadron was based in December 1915 and also where the central recruit depot may have been in 1915, would that at been at Farnborough?

I am trying to re-trace his movements through the war.

Maurice enlisted with his father in the 1/5th West Yorkshire and served in France and Ypres before his father was killed on 13th July 1915. He was then sent back to the 2/5th almost immediately after his fathers death, but he was still only age 17 then.

So that might explain something of the background to his re-enlistment in the RFC and he had worked as a fitter prior to enlisting in 1914.

Thank you for your help.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Recruits Depot (not called Central Recruit Depot) was at Farnborough.

24 Squadron were at Hounslow until they went to France.

Did you know his army service record (just the West Yorks one) survives and can be downloaded from Ancestry.co.uk.

This confirms he was discharged and then re-enlisted rather than transferred.

Its possible he went to France with 24 Squadron and the date of going overseas on his service record is wrong (I've seen many examples of this).

Its interesting to note the lack of information on his postings. The first unit on his R.A.F. service record should be the one he was serving with on 1/4/18 (i.e. the formation of the R.A.F.) but I can not find a unit that matches C.R.S.

Oh the joys of research.

All the best,

Rob.

Ah yes Rob, thank you for reminding me. I do have those records which confirm discharge and re-enlistment.

It seems reasonable to think he went to France with 24 Squadron.

An interesting point is that I remember one of his stories being that he had to load up bombs onto aeroplanes by holding them on his back while others lifted them up into place. But 24 squadron was fighter squadron. So maybe he moved on to a squadron involved in bombing raids.

But I think he principally worked on engines, I suppose that routine inspections and maintenance would have been done on the front line airfields.

Thank you for your insights.

Simon

Although initially a pure fighter squaron with Dh2s no 24 spent some time in ground attack duties with Dh 5s and Se5as before reverting to pure fighter duties again so bombs could have been carried. These would have been probably 25 pound Coopers.