Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Bardgett,Liverpool Scottish Regiment

BrianR

Looking for 'any' information on this man,all I know is that he was killed in action on 12th,April 1914 and has a gravestone in St.Ann's Churchyard in Rainhill

There's and M.I.C for an Edward M. Bardgett, Private 358031 in the Liverpool Reg.

From the Manchester Evening News, 21st April 1917

There was a Badgett family living in Longtons Lane, Rainhill, at the time of the 1911 census. Presumably they were related to the Badgetts of Bury.

And 10 month old Thomas Badgett was buried at St Anne's in the 1880's - I assume that Edward is mentioned on Thomas' headstone?

post-1356-0-74360300-1402989464_thumb.pn

The Battalion history for that period in the Ypres Salient states:

"On the return of the Battalion to the Potizje trenches on 7 April work was concentrated on Piccadilly - the main communication trench on the right of the sector - in which the bombing-blocks were unsatisfactory. Under the supervision of 2nd Lieut A. Gledsdale, portions of the trench were straightened and new bombing blocks made, with overhead wire cages to protect the defenders from hostile bombs and rifle-grenades. By the end of the tour the alterations were completed and the defences vastly improved."

Pte Edward Martin Bardgett is buried in Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery VI.F.5

Is it not possible that his name is recorded on the headstone and he is not actually buried there. As he has a connection to Rainhill as Steve Nulty post and the family have recorded his name on the headstone and he is actually buried in France/Belguim.

His CWGC record

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/137835/BARDGETT,%20E%20M