Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

230th Siege Battery RGA War Diary

Guest mrspecs

Guest mrspecs

Hello everyone!

I have been researching my grandfather, gunner Harry Cecil Ford, 230th Siege Battery, RGA, who was killed in action 23rd August 1917. I have combed the internet for details of 230th Siege Battery, without success. I tried to obtain details of the War Diary for August 1917, but it hasn't been digitised, and they wanted a small fortune to send a transcription!

As my grandfather is buried in the China Wall Cemetery in the Salient, I imagine he was at the Battle of Langemarck, and killed shortly afterwards... Any information would be gratefully received,

Regards, Nick Ford

Welcome Nick,

23.8.1917. Bty position at Zillebeke (Having come from rest Billets near Dickebusch on the 8.Aug). Time 2.40pm.

A 5.9 How apparently registering on the BC Post House- the shell fell a little short. 3 men killed and 1 wounded.

The other two men killed with 157389 Ford were 15697 Pigrem and 101954 Cottingham.

Rgds

Paul

Guest mrspecs

Dear Paul,

Many Many thanks for that... So at last I know the details. At least they had had a short respite from battle, and it would have been instant.

Thank you for coming up with the info so rapidly,

Regards, Nick

• 3 years later...
On 16/06/2014 at 19:45, mrspecs said:

Hello everyone!

I have been researching my grandfather, gunner Harry Cecil Ford, 230th Siege Battery, RGA, who was killed in action 23rd August 1917. I have combed the internet for details of 230th Siege Battery, without success. I tried to obtain details of the War Diary for August 1917, but it hasn't been digitised, and they wanted a small fortune to send a transcription!

As my grandfather is buried in the China Wall Cemetery in the Salient, I imagine he was at the Battle of Langemarck, and killed shortly afterwards... Any information would be gratefully received,

Regards, Nick Ford

Hi Nick, Have only just found this site. Are you still Researching the 230th Siege Battery, RGA. I have the War Diaries for the 230th and some information regarding their training etc. My Grandfather was also in the 230th who was killed 16 May 2017 St Laurent Blangy.