Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika Fire Article in The Independent

Gardenerbill

The Independent Newspaper has been running a very interesting series of articles entitled 'A History of the Great War in 100 Moments'

No. 72 is entitled 'OTTOMAN EMPIRE (GREECE). 18 AUGUST 1917: THE GREAT FIRE OF SALONIKA'

A misleading title is not a good start, Salonika and its environs had not been in the Ottoman Empire since the first Balkan war in 1911, however it is the first mention of the Balkans in the media so far that I have seen and the other articles have been a good read. I haven't read it yet but I will post a comment later when I have.

Nice article (or rather, nice copy/paste from an old book), but the lead photo shows Bulgarian troops in Skopje, not "The conscription of reserve soldiers in Greece to fight on the Salonika front in 1916" as it is captioned in the slideshow (image 103).

Adrian

Adrian,

You are quite right it is a cut and paste job. In their defence, it is fully referenced though, taken from 'With a Women's Unit in Salonika, Serbia and Sebastopol', by Dr Isabel Emslie Hutton.

KGB - not sure what Langemark has to do with it, do you mean the German cemetery of that name near Ypres? Are the Goggins soldiers in your footer related to the late MP Paul?

Here's the link if anyone wants to read the article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/world-history/history-of-the-first-world-war-in-100-moments/a-history-of-the-first-world-war-in-100-moments-the-great-fire-of-salonika-9536

• 5 years later...
On 16/06/2014 at 08:44, Gardenerbill said:

Adrian,

You are quite right it is a cut and paste job. In their defence, it is fully referenced though, taken from 'With a Women's Unit in Salonika, Serbia and Sebastopol', by Dr Isabel Emslie Hutton.

KGB - not sure what Langemark has to do with it, do you mean the German cemetery of that name near Ypres? Are the Goggins soldiers in your footer related to the late MP Paul?

Here's the link if anyone wants to read the article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/world-history/history-of-the-first-world-war-in-100-moments/a-history-of-the-first-world-war-in-100-moments-the-great-fire-of-salonika-9536

I am unsure if my lot are related to the ex MP. When he was Sec of State Northern Ireland I only had to flash my Drivers Licence at plod to get away quickly;)