The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

E A James. British Regiments 1914-18. Original version

Hywyn

I have a reprint version of 'British Regiments 1914-1918 by Brigadier E A James (1998 I think)

My query is as follows: What is the earliest version of the book in your possession. The publishing record at the start of mine indicates late 60s, early 70s but the Foreword suggest that a limited edition was published in 1929.

The reason for my query may seem small and petty but it is one that has been niggling me for quite some time. My book and all sources that I read (inc Long Long Trail) show that 2nd 6th Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers Territorial was formed at Carmarthen in Sept 1914. The 6th Bn was geographically based on Caernarfonshire and Anglesey with its HQ at Caernarfon, a town over 120 miles north of Carmarthen and with two Counties separating them. Common sense dictates that the unit was not formed in South West Wales where RWF had no TF presence but other material can be brought to bear such as TF Association minutes and the fact that the unit had no Carmarthen(shire) men in its ranks in the early months.

So, instead of appealing to common sense when pointing out this error or in getting it rectified (not always succesful!) I thought I would try and track down earlier versions of the book in an effort to see where the typo has crept in. Hopefully, if someone has or has access to an original I can say 'original version dated 19xx states Caernarfon'. If even that shows Carmarthen I'll rethink my strategy.

TIA

Hywyn

PS

For those that are not fully conversant with the geography of Wales this is the equivelant of stating that a Cheshire TF unit was raised at Norwich, Norfolk instead of Northwich, Cheshire or in global terms that an US National Guard unit administerd at Atlanta, Georgia State was raised at Tbilisi, Georgia, Eurasia! <grin>

Puzzled here too Chris. I've just opened LLT up from GWF link. And it says Carmarthen.

1st 6th Carnarvon

2nd 6th Carmarthen

Much appreciated Chris.

I'll still go with trying to track down the initial typo/transcript error. Do you have an earlier version than mine by any chance?

Hywyn

In a work of such enormous scope it is inevitable there will be some small errors;There are a small number, the most glaring being on page 53 - The 2nd Bn Norfolk Regt which shows them at the start of the War on 4th August 1914 in 'Belgium'. A typo for Belgaum, India.

Another on page 69 is the 7th (Service) Bn KOSB (a K2 Battalion) shown as landing in Boulogne in 1917 some two years after they actually landed with the 15th (Scottish) Div.

Table B in Appendix I to Part II has numbers of Battalions for each Infantry Regiment which do not tally with other sources. Also the estimated casualty figures in Appendix VII to Part II are some way off the actual casualties. Some of the fatal casualty figures are out by as much as 20% when compared to SDGW and CWGC data.

That said, I think it is a wonderful publication and a very valuable research resource but like all secondary material the information needs to be checked if re-used.

I suspect all these errors were in the original. My copy is the 1978 version which combined the two volumes for the first time. The original volumes were first published in 1969 (cavalry and Yeomanry) and 1974 (Infantry). The modern books are facsimile reprints of the 1978 edition rather than a 2nd Edition. Brig James died in 1976 two years before the consolidated edition was published.

MG

Hywyn

I have a single Vol 'Revised Edition" dated 1976 - this lists 2/6 RWF as 'formed at Carmarthen Sep 1914' whereas 1/6 RWF was formed '4/8/14 at Caernarfon'

Promenade

Carmarthen in the 1978 edition. The 1978 edition is the first edition to combine 2 volumes, British Cavalry Regiments etc was combined with British Infantry Regiments.

The editions published variously from 1929 until 1978 had different titles, They were The Historical Records of British Infantry Regiments and The Historical Records of British Cavalry Regiments

Thank you all for the replies. I fully agree with Martin regarding the chances of minor errors/typos creeping into such a work.

In due course I'll see if I can track down an archived 1920s version.

(Thanks for the fix Chris :thumbsup: )

Hywyn

Thank you all for the replies. I fully agree with Martin regarding the chances of minor errors/typos creeping into such a work.

In due course I'll see if I can track down an archived 1920s version.

(Thanks for the fix Chris :thumbsup: )

Hywyn

Today I received the 1975 edition (copy No.70) which is a bound volume of xeroxed pages of what was presumably a typewritten manuscript. The text is old-fashioned typewritten. This 2nd Edition is merely a xerox copy of the first edition with lots of errors corrected. It is a very low quality production and there is evidence of glued papered corrections.

Interestingly it shows the 1/6th RWF at Carnarvon and 2/6th Formed at Carmarthen however it looks as if the 2/6th (Carnarvonshire & Angelsey) title has been corrected with a slip of typewritten paper and the editor forgot to correct the 'Formed at Carmarthen' immediately below. The papered-over correction has left a tell-tale shadow.

One of the other errors is not in this volume, so clearly some of the errors in the later editions were created when the content was typeset for proper printing. The Norfolks are happily in Belgaum not Belgium but the 7th KOSB are still in UK when they were actually in France.

post-55873-0-15609200-1403102775_thumb.j

Today I received the 1975 edition (copy No.70)

That's the version I have, though off-hand I can't recall the number. I think I bought it when it first came out: it's in a splendid red hard-back binding and has stood the ravages of time, several house moves and endless hours of thumbing far better than many volumes.

That's the version I have, though off-hand I can't recall the number. I think I bought it when it first came out: it's in a splendid red hard-back binding and has stood the ravages of time, several house moves and endless hours of thumbing far better than many volumes.

Mine has clearly been used a lot. Lots of corrections written by hand. I note this edition stops at the last Service Battalion. later editions add all kinds of Garrison and Training and Young Soldier battalions. Clearly a labour of love. I think it is due a major expansion. ...sort of Westlake meets James. Online.

MG

My copy is number 67. It also has a label:

Reproduced by Rank Xerox Copy Bureau Birmingham.

Binding by Henry Mills Ltd Birmingham

My copy is number 67. It also has a label:

Reproduced by Rank Xerox Copy Bureau Birmingham.

Binding by Henry Mills Ltd Birmingham

Ditto. I suspect there was rather a short print run. No idea what the original cost was but you would need £83.26 today to get this via Abe. If you had £166.61 you could corner the market as there are only two copies available online. According to an online inflation calculator £1 in 1975 is equivalent to £7.33 today. So if it cost less than £11.36 in 1975 you have made money. I suspect in 1975 it cost less than a fiver....A good hedge against inflation: one of my arguments with 'management' when buying books. MG

I can't remember what I paid for it, but as I was at college at the time, I certainly wasn't spending silly money, so under a fiver almost certainly.

And I agree. Trouble is, management point out that they're only worth money if you sell them ...

they're only worth money if you sell them ...

This is against my religious beliefs.

We are only the custodians therefore we cannot sell.

When I've popped my clogs I suppose it won't bother me.