Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

another unknown relative

gunbunny31

Hi again all, due to the fantastic response and help from my last relative heres a more obscure one. can I find his name from the info on the back?

post-86867-0-71372400-1402692177_thumb.j

Two medal cards = 6/6129 Pte Thomas Barnett 1/6th N Fusiliers kia and 6129 Sgt William Stork survived.

Another possibility is Enoch Morse, born c1877, from Warwickshire, although I can't view his papers.

Seems to have fought in the Boer War.

From LLT

2/4th, 2/5th and 2/6th Battalions
2/4th and 2/5th formed at Blyth, 23 and 22 November 1914, and 2/6th at Newcastle, 28 December 1914.
January 1915 : placed under orders of 188th Brigade, 63rd (2nd Northumbrian) Division.
July 1916, Division broken up.
November 1916 : transferred to 217th Brigade, 72nd Division.
December 1917, 2/6th and 2/5th disbanded in England, 24 May 1918 2/4th same.

Looks as if the 2/5 was disbanded in England .Dec 1917

Enoch Morse, born c1877, from Warwickshire,

IPT , I always stand in awe of your detective powers, but that connection beats me !

IPT , I always stand in awe of your detective powers, but that connection beats me !

My dear Watson....... actually that doesn't sound very promising. I'm "between subscriptions" at the moment so can't actually read the papers.

I just put the service number and regiment in and got these results;

FindmyPast - http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search/united-kingdom-records?lastname=morse&keywords=%226129%22%20%22northumberland%20fusiliers%22

Ancestry - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=ROOT_CATEGORY&rank=1&new=1&so=3&MSAV=1&gss=ms_r_f-2_s&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=morse&gsln_x=XO&gskw=%226129%22+%22northumberland+fusiliers%22&gskw_x=1&cpxt=0&catBucket=rstp&uidh=000&cp=11

As he came up on both websites, I thought it might be correct.

Can we rule him out?

IPT

Thanks, I can go back to standing in awe........ however Morse can, I think be ruled out.

Interestingly he had the right service number, 6129, with Northumberland Fus. between 1899 and 1902, then was discharged medically unfit

He attested again on 23 Aug 1915 and was in RE and Labour Corps. It's on his service record, and there is a MIC. He certainly did not have that service no, nor was he in Northumberland Fus in 1917 as on photo.

This gentleman is a 2/5th Bn, Northumberland Fusilier and his number is 5/6129, there are no records or MIC's for this gentleman, therefore he did not serve overseas.

Wellingborough is in Northamptonshire, which is where all of 217th Brigade, 72nd Division were located from January 1917 to May 1917.

You have to understand the Army numbering system and in particular that of the Territorial Force, when chasing these lads up, as there were six men with the number '6129'.

Awe :)

But we don't know his name . how can the OP get that?

IPT

Thanks, I can go back to standing in awe........ however Morse can, I think be ruled out.

That'll teach me to guess! Shame. I thought the age was about right too.

The same flawed process also delivered a James Livingstone of Inverness-shire on FMP, but I considered him less likely.

PS - Moriarty was Irish, wasn't he? He was a bad egg. :devilgrin:

These are the 6129's that I have currently located;-

6129 - Enoch Morse - Discharged 1902

6129 - William Stork - Possibly Regular

6129 - George Wills

4/6129 - James Livingstone(formerly 5/5410)

6/6129 - Thomas Barnett(formerly 7/5599)

7/6129 - Percy Smith(formerly 4/3810)

Hi Graham,

I have been looking at the number allocations for NF TF battalions in SDGW. I have also trolled through the MICs looking for 5/ prefixes in the 6000 series and can't find any at all. 4 digit 5th Bn numbers appear to stop around the 5000 series.

I don't know if each NF TF Bn actually allocated numbers in the 6000 series? There seems to be a lot of 6000 series men (46) who died with the 8th Bn, but only a few with the 5th (2), 6th (1) and 7th (14) Bns. I can't find any instances of TF men with the same 4 digit number dying, though there are a few common ones in the Regular and Service Bns.

Is it possible men in the 6000 series went to a variety of TF Bns? I guess the other possibility is that the 6000 series were allocated to the 5th Bn not long before the 6 digit renumbering and most of them went on war service with a 6 digit number?

Rgds

Tim D

I have been looking at the number allocations for NF TF battalions in SDGW. I have also trolled through the MICs looking for 5/ prefixes in the 6000 series and can't find any at all

As I posted earlier, it seems they never UK. No overseas service, no MiC.

Hi Graham,

I have been looking at the number allocations for NF TF battalions in SDGW. I have also trolled through the MICs looking for 5/ prefixes in the 6000 series and can't find any at all. 4 digit 5th Bn numbers appear to stop around the 5000 series.

I don't know if each NF TF Bn actually allocated numbers in the 6000 series? There seems to be a lot of 6000 series men (46) who died with the 8th Bn, but only a few with the 5th (2), 6th (1) and 7th (14) Bns. I can't find any instances of TF men with the same 4 digit number dying, though there are a few common ones in the Regular and Service Bns.

Is it possible men in the 6000 series went to a variety of TF Bns? I guess the other possibility is that the 6000 series were allocated to the 5th Bn not long before the 6 digit renumbering and most of them went on war service with a 6 digit number?

Rgds

Tim D

Hi Tim - each of the NF(TF) battalions was allocated numbers from 1-9999 and during the war these numbers were used up rapidly. The main reason for large gaps in their numbering system is 'drafts' and you find this throughout all of these T.F. Bns. The 5th Bn highest number is have is actually 5/9899, but again I don't have a lot of 8000 or 9000 men, because of the transfers & renumbering taking place.

Cheers johnboy/Graham,

I see the 72nd Division was a home service division. Maybe as johnboy points out some men in the 6000 series ended up with the 2/5th only serving at home, the remainder being drafted elsewhere and renumbered. If he did serve OS he would have been renumbered. Pity there is no name!

Rgds

Tim D