Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scouts Memorial, Bodmin

Steven Broomfield

Not a great photo, I'm afraid, but I saw this in St Petroc's Church, Bodmin, yesterday and thought it worth a picture.

It's set into the paving adjacent to the altar.

post-6673-0-50859300-1402676226_thumb.jp

I didn't have time to visit the Museum, sadly! Wish I had. Thanks for that.

Now I want to go visit Bodmin! Thanks for posting your photos, Steven and IPT.

Sadly, none of the Scouts named appear in the Scout Association's WW1 Roll of honour so I've emailed the WMN contact given in IPT's link to suggest that Bodmin Town Museum might consider - assuming they haven't already done so - submitting the details to get them included.

If I remember correctly, the circle with the spot in the middle at the bottom of the photo memorial - possibly also the intention of the coiled rope & boss at the centre of the brass plaque - is the trackers' sign for 'gone home': both apt & poignant

NigelS

If I remember correctly, the circle with the spot in the middle at the bottom of the photo memorial - possibly also the intention of the coiled rope & boss at the centre of the brass plaque - is the trackers' sign for 'gone home': both apt & poignant

NigelS

Oh, good spot! (no pun intended!). What a brilliant touch. Love it.

Now I want to go visit Bodmin! Thanks for posting your photos, Steven and IPT.

It's a nice little place. My only disappointment was lunch: I sought out a pub from the Good Beer Guide (the Chapel something-or-another, in Fore Street). It was a Wetherspoon's, but unusually the beer choice was nothing I couldn't have drunk in London, and the toasted cheese and ham sandwich was all-but inedible.