Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Richard Charles Wooden, Royal Sussex Regt, KIA 9th September 1916.

midshipmanrayley

Whilst researching John Hardy Wooden a distant relation, (see my previous posting), I found he had lost a brother at The Somme in 1916. Richard Charles Wooden was a private in the 2nd battalion of the Royal Sussex Regiment, number G/14833 and was killed in action at Ginchy on The Somme on 9th September 1916. Born in Great Yarmouth in 1881 his details are listed on the Great Yarmouth Roll of Honour.

The medal card index shows previously he had served in the Essex Regiment number 7086.

Not found his service history yet but wondered if any members could suggest where to continue my search.

Long Long Trail , top left of page. Regiments>> Infantry>>Royal Sussex Regiment. Look at 2nd Battalion ,

Thanks johnboy.

Hi

On the 9th September 1916 2nd Sussex attacked Wood Lane Trench near High Wood

If you follow this post below

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=199306&hl=%2Bcharles+%2Beastwood

I have put a link to an Imperial War Museum audio interview conducted in the 1980s with a veteran of 2nd Sussex, Josh Grover, who was in the battle and talks about it in the interview. I have the 2nd Sussex war diary, so if you'd like the entry from it for the day, please do let me know

All the best with your research

Jim

Many many thanks Jim.

No worries at all, PM me your email address and I'll send you the 2nd Sussex WD entries for the month, plus a map of Wood Lane, if you'd like

All the best with your research

Jim

Many thanks Jim. The war diary entry wasn't accessible although the trench map was. Think I need to access it again but from the library rather than my feeble tablet computer.

If you have any problems accessing it at the library let me know and I'll type it out for you on the forum during the week, no worries

Jim

Thank you again Jim. Luckily I managed to access the diary entry at the library yesterday. I struggled with the handwriting at first but got my eye in eventually.

Can now start my research. John

Excellent news John, yes the handwriting sometimes can make a doctor's scribble seem perfectly legible :thumbsup:

If there is anything else I can do to assist, you have my email, please do not hesitate

All the best with your future research

Jim

The Wooden brothers are supplying me with plenty of material to research. Only just started to research George Herbert S. Wooden who was a corporal in the Norfolk Regiment number 43511.

Without this marvellous website and the dedicated, knowledgeable and helpful members I would be struggling.

Your help is much appreciated.