Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map Rue de l'Epinette,Loos, January 1915,

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can link me to a trench map for the loos area especially Rue de l'epinette. I am looking at the trenches in around early 1915 but any trench map would be welcome.

Being new I do not know where to find any of this stuff.

Micah

• Admin

Micah

try here

http://lt1.mcmaster.ca/ww1/wrz4mp.php?grid=36

I can't find Rue de l'Epinette in my gazetteer but trenches with the names l'Epinette are the 36 SW1 36 SW3 region

Michelle

Definitely, In honesty I don’t want others to do any of the work for me as the enjoyment I get from finding out for myself I know I had quite a bit of lucky when someone sent me a direct message with the trench maps for Biaches, Peronne in the exact time period I needed (The exact map I was looking for did not have an image on http://lt1.mcmaster....4mp.php?grid=36).

I was having trouble finding Rue de l'Epinette until a Google map search pointed me in the direction of Loos. I could have got it wrong but the Battalion history backed up by part of war history say the 1st Kings Liverpool were in the trenches at that time. Having tried to find Loos on http://lt1.mcmaster....4mp.php?grid=36 it said that all the images were not available. Apart from one in 1916 and one in 1917 which is a little too late although I searched this for Rue de l'Epinette yet there didn’t seem to be a sign. After this I came to the forum.

Thank you for the link again. Like I mentioned previously being quite new to this research once a Google search plus the extra web sites which forum members have given me have been looked at I am pretty clueless where to look next.

Could it be possible that I am looking in the wrong place. I will go back to double check all of this.
Being honest I think its brilliant that so much infomation is out there to find more than I ever thought would have survived.

Thanks again

Micah

Edited by Guest

• Admin

Micah, I have found a Rue l'Epinette on Google Earth, it is somewhat north of Loos. Could this be your place? It is north of Lestrem, have a look around. That is the only L'Epinette that I can think of/and or find

Michelle

Hello Michelle,

This was the place I also found when searching google maps. It was when I checked the 2 trench maps I found on the webpage that I couldnt locate it. Will take another look.

Thank you

Rue de l'Epinette is about a mile SE of Le Touret and just to the north of Festubert. A hamlet on the Rue de l'Epinette is marked on modern IGN maps as 'L'Epinette'.

post-357-0-76204500-1402785326_thumb.jpg

However... just to confuse matters, there was also a hamlet of L'Epinette to the west of Lestrem and located on 'Lestrem Street' during WW1. This is nowadays called 'le Bout de l'Epinette' but, there is (today) a hamlet called 'Rue de l'Epinette' slightly nearer to Lestrem that did not really exist as such during the war...

Dave

post-357-0-09610700-1402785650_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-98161300-1402785687_thumb.jpg

It seems that I have been looking in totally the wrong place it seems. The person I am researching was buried at Le Touret and the trench map coinsides with what the war diary and also an extract from `Westlake’s` says.

The Kings Liverpool took over the trenches at Rue de L’epinette on the 2nd. Most interesting is the fact that the trenches were recorded as being waist deep in water and the communication trenches knee deep in mud. And a man from B company and the mud just swallowing up his body.

Thanks to Jay dubaya for the information a few weeks ago. Also researching the war diary it says

Jan 12th 1915:

Quiet night. Went down to Brigade office in morning. Germans have built a breastwork in front of our right trenches about 80 yards away with idea of opening with maxims on our working parties. Got Howitzers to shell it. They blew it to pieces, it was a fine sight. These were the 6 in. siege howitzers. Carried out relief with 2 casualties, water in trenches has fallen slightly. First fine day for weeks.

It seems to go in with the first map that shows specific outposts these could be part of the trench system the soldiers were repairing.

Just wanted to note I have been helping with the war diaries project online on doing the Kings Liverpool War Diary. These guys had been fighting since August 1914 its quite strange to see such a quick development to trench warfare.

It seems to go in with the first map that shows specific outposts these could be part of the trench system the soldiers were repairing possibly. It seems more likely as it was only just the very beginning of trench warfare.

Just wanted to note I have been helping with the war diaries project online on doing the Kings Liverpool War Diary. These guys had been fighting since August 1914 its quite strange to see such a quick development to trench warfare.

Edited by Guest