Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet- what do we have here, boys?

1st ANZAC

Oh, when it gets sold as "Government Surplus". The mark is two broad arrows point to point, which looks like an asterisk or a sort of crows foot.

Out of my comfort zone here . . . but I'll take a punt for fun before the experts get here: MkI second model (two rivets on hilt, no clearance hole ?)

Could be fitted to Martinis, Metfords and the Long Enfield.

Out of my comfort zone here . . . but I'll take a punt for fun before the experts get here: MkI second model (two rivets on hilt, no clearance hole ?)

I agree, except that the Pattern 1888 Mk.I 2nd Type did have a clearance hole, which is located just above the rim of the top brass rivet, through the grip. Darren's example is particularly nice having a desirable ' C.G. ' pommel Regimental Mark for the Coldstream Guards.

The Pattern 1888 Mk.I 2nd Type bayonet was approved on 25th February, 1890, with some 575,000 being made at Enfield, of which Darren's bayonet was one.

On the later Mk.II model, the clearance hole was in the pommel, and the 2 grip rivets were spaced wider apart.

Regards,

LF

Nice bayonet you have there Darren, congrats on your find ;)

Like the markings, never came across 1 that was regimentally marked with a broad arrow between the initials before, it certainly is a 1 of a kind.

Does it have any numbers anywhere on the pommel?

Aleck

Hi Darren,

Clean bayonet in very collectable condition, June 1893 Acceptance Date by the look of things with no re-issue dates.

What you have, I think, is a Cape Government weapon, this being the marking prior to the formation of the Union of South Africa in 1910. Very nice indeed, real Boer War material!!!

Cheers,

Tony

What you have, I think, is a Cape Government weapon, this being the marking prior to the formation of the Union of South Africa in 1910. Very nice indeed, real Boer War material!!!

Tony

Tony,

Yes, you are correct, Cape Government, South Africa pommel mark ( C^G ). I was only thinking of British markings, so I incorrectly assumed ' C.G. ' Coldstream Guards, but thought it was very unusual to have the ' ^ ' Broad Arrow mark between the letters.

Regards,

LF