The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What's meant by "O.B.L."?

Stephen Nulty

Looking through 1/5th SLR diaries for 1918 and I keep encountering this, as in

"will enter the O.B.L. "

"and entered the O.B.L. at its junction "

"We went back along the O.B.L. "

It's probably flippin obvious, but I simply can't figure out what it means. My best guess is "Old Bosche Line"

(Google throws up thousands of refereences to Osama Bin LAden!!)

Today it's military meaning is Operational Baseline see Abbreviations.com

See example

"In addition to K Battery the other sub units of 5 Regiment RA have deployed to theatre - P Battery on Op TELIC 5 and 9; 53 Battery Op TELIC 6 and 35 Battery of 39 Regiment RA for Op TELIC 7. At least one operational baseline in the Basra Area has remained operational for every day since Op TELIC 4, in all weathers, in one of the harshest environments possible and has proved to be reliable, sustainable and very effective - no mean achievement. " Journal of the Defence Surveyors Association

Old British Line makes sense in the context...

"We left the supporting party at 8:00 a.m. and entered the O.B.L. at its junction with LLOYD’S AVENUE at 8:15 a.m. and moved North-wards 150 yards examining shelters. The shelters had the remains of British kit in them, but there were no signs of any German kit."

Cheers

Stephen - Old British Line sounds plausible. On what dates and at which locations was the term used? That might help you confirm your theory.

I would recommend caution with a number of the military abbreviations on abbreviations.com. OBL is not the abbreviation for Operational Baseline/BaseLine, in fact it is not a current military abbreviation.

Not only plausible, but correct.

Can't argue with that, eh?

:)

Gareth - we're talking about Festubert in July 1918

Stephen

Chris's post means my post has been OBE (overtaken by events), also not a current military abbreviation. :)

Not only plausible, but correct.

Maybe not

The West Yorkshire Regiment in the War 1914-1918 Volume-II contains the following two references

When daylight brokeon 22nd the 50th Brigade was disposed as follows: l0th WestYorkshires in West Trench, O.B.L. Avenue and Lurgan Switch(with Battalion Headquarters in Maxwell Avenue), two companiesof 7th East Yorkshires in support behind Maxwell Avenue. Onthe right of the 50th Brigade the 52nd held Havrincourt as far as thewestern bank of the Canal du Nord.

The West York–shires had built a bombing stop at the junction of O.B.L. Avenue and Slag Avenue and here

Old British Line Avenue doesn't sound quite right

The relevant trench map should clarify as this is very location specific.

Chris's post means my post has been OBE (overtaken by events), also not a current military abbreviation. :)

Possibly not, but I suspect you wouldn't turn one down, :whistle:

Probably not.

Maybe not

The West Yorkshire Regiment in the War 1914-1918 Volume-II contains the following two references

When daylight brokeon 22nd the 50th Brigade was disposed as follows: l0th WestYorkshires in West Trench, O.B.L. Avenue and Lurgan Switch(with Battalion Headquarters in Maxwell Avenue), two companiesof 7th East Yorkshires in support behind Maxwell Avenue. Onthe right of the 50th Brigade the 52nd held Havrincourt as far as thewestern bank of the Canal du Nord.

The West York–shires had built a bombing stop at the junction of O.B.L. Avenue and Slag Avenue and here

Cent, what month and year is this from?

Maybe not

Cent, what dates are these 2 references from?

I think it is from march/april 1918. I once had an MM-group to a 10th West Yorks from this period, and the war diary had a reference to OBL Avenue or Trench.

ATB,

Lars

Thanks Lars. Hopefully Cent will be able to confirm.

'OBL', 'OB Line' and 'Old British Line' are used fairly interchangeably in the 55th (West Lancs) Division General Staff Diary for this period

Ian

PS For those not of West Lancashire persuasion, this is the formation of which 1/5 SLR was part

Ta.