Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'First Shot' Memorial

BelgianExile

Saw this on the way to work this morning - looks like the Belgians are (finally!) tidying up the 'First Shot' memorial just outside Casteau. They've trimmed the bushes back, put down some new gravel, and the bloke in the pic is re-pointing (if that's the right word!) the mortar in the memorial.

I go past this twice a day, and always thought it looked a bit sad, so it's good to see they're sprucing it up!

post-100070-0-25320000-1402555909_thumb.

That's good to see as I imagine there will be a lot of visitors to that spot soon.

Paul

They're still working on it today - there's now a very small wall (2 or 3 bricks high) demarcating the memorial properly. Hopefully they'll be cleaning it at some point - it's right next to the main Mons - Soignies road and the exhaust fumes have taken their toll!

When they look as if they're finished I'll post another pic.

Good. That spot and the old hotel opposite (with the Canadian 1918 plaque) have been looking a bit grim and grimy for some years.

Good. That spot and the old hotel opposite (with the Canadian 1918 plaque) have been looking a bit grim and grimy for some years.

The hotel / restaurant opposite is in a worse state than ever unfortunately. It's been for sale for as long as I've lived here, and is not being maintained at all.

That's good to see as I imagine there will be a lot of visitors to that spot soon.

Paul

They'll have to watch the traffic whilst crossing the road, with a relevant memorial on either side of it! A busy place.