Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George V request for further volunteers

rclarke

Searching through local newspaper microfilms for the war years, in an October 1915 edition, I noticed there is a letter from the king 'To my people' requesting further volunteers.

Foolishly, I did not take full details of the letter, which I suspect was published nationallly, over several weeks. I wonder if anybody has the full wording, which I would like to include as part of a village display?

Many thanks.

• Admin

Blimey, that's archaic and could easily have been written 150 years earlier.

I'd agree but It's also perhaps worth mentioning it was in the context of the appointment of Lord Derby as the Army's recruiter on the 11th October. The letter was published while the national 'canvass' was being undertaken and every pressure, some not so subtle was being used to find 'volunteer' recruits and avoid conscription.

Ken

I'd agree but It's also perhaps worth mentioning it was in the context of the appointment of Lord Derby as the Army's recruiter on the 11th October. The letter was published while the national 'canvass' was being undertaken and every pressure, some not so subtle was being used to find 'volunteer' recruits and avoid conscription.

Ken

Many thanks for this, Ken.

Not only does it have an archaic feel but I also find it sinister. I am surprised it does not conclude with 'God Save the King' (and blow everybody else).

There really was very little 'escape' (other than a reserved occupation?) from the nation's expectations at that time.

Rosemary

• Admin

You can usually access the Times archive through your local library, here in East Sussex it's available to e-library members at home. If you can it's well worth a read around October and the lengths the Government was going to to recruit the 'slackers' and that was the Times and parliamentary language goodness knows what the 'popular press' made of it!

I think when we talk of 'Derby Scheme volunteer' we can't imagine the social and even family pressure there was to fight, as you say there was very little 'escape'.

Ken