Remembered Today:

meritorious service medal

douglynn

Please excuse as a newbie is this what every one calls a mm, I have a sgt ramc 29th ccs awarded this theatre france, what was needed to earn this thanks doug

Hi

Sounds more like a Military Medal but if you post as many details as you have I'm sure someone will help.

Do you have a full name and service number ?

Regards,

Graeme

The MSM was frequently awarded to senior NCO's who had done a good job over an extended period of time, their efficiency contributing greatly to the success of their unit. For example in an infantry battalion, it was common for NCO's such as the RQMS or a CQMS, the Chief Clerk, Master-Cook, or even the Bandmaster to be awarded this medal. These men would all have performed their duties under fire, duties which were important to the good running of the battalion, but not necessarily have been in the situation where they may have earned other awards. Citations frequently mention that in performing their duties, they put the welfare of the men before their own welfare. I have also occasionally seen this awarded to men who had been recommended for a gallantry medal, but had this turned down at Brigade or Divisional level. In these cases, the MSM was awarded as a sort on consolation prize.

edited to add. All the awards of MSM I've seen for infantry battalions were for the latter part of the war in mid to late 1918.

Thanks sgt herbert chalesworth 46419 ramc msm 29th ccs (france) gazette looks like peace gazette? On mic theatre or war egypt(3) 21.5.15 address page cant quite make it all out looks like reply from ramc ???woking stating h??????? And canot find any more on him no sevice papers thanks for looking doug

His MSM is gazetted on 5 June 1919 this edition of the Edinburgh Gazette-

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/issue/13453/page/1941 .

His MIC shows his rank to be WO1 (Warrant Officer Class 1) so he was probably the RSM or senior Sgt-Major of his unit and the award was given for his excellent performance in that role.

Thank you kevin it gives me an area now wandsworth thank you very much

IIRC the MSM carried a gratuity or a pension, and one of the reasons for founding the Military Medal was to create an award which did not also carry a financial reward. This meant that fairly large numbers could be handed out without upsetting the Treasury.

Ron

Thanks guys only one I came up with was on 1911 census age 33, dab 1878, 19 fairfield street wandsworth occupation boiler stoker theatre of war egypt 21,5,15 a 4 year gap would have been made a sergent in that short a time?or is it possible he was a territorial part time thanks for looking

There was a waiting list for the MSM with gratuity - my grandfather left the RGA in 1919 (was an RSM) and didn't see his until 1941, the gratuity was then 20 pounds per year. I believe there was also an immediate MSM

which did not carry a gratuity.

Doug,

Well the Wandsworth address fits with the mention of Wandsworth in the gazette notice (that will probably be taken from the next of kin details on his service record). People certainly did make serjeant in short order during the war, his number doesn't appear to be a Territorial one (it would probably have 6-digits at that time if it were), but I think some RAMC men were transferred out of the TF durign the war (I've seen it for one guy I've researched certainly).