Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Group of Motor cyclists

dgbatlindsey

Can any one please identify the unit or regiments of the motor cyclists in this photo.

My father George Blacklaws enlisted in 1916 at age 16 and he is on the right in the front row.post-97942-0-34910300-1402402756_thumb.j

Is there any significance in the white cap cover far left?

Definitely motor cyclists as I have two other photos of my father,one on a single machine and the other on a machine with a sidecar attached. Both of these photos are in a poor condition and not worth trying to upload.I have another photo of a larger group group of 16 men standing on steps outside a building with the same mix of cap badges.

I will try to post a blown up photo of the cap badge but can't seem to do this on this post so may have to restart another post to do that

I am wondering if the pics are WW1 as a couple of men look to be wearing medal ribbons.

Definitely motor cyclists as I have two other photos of my father,one on a single machine and the other on a machine with a sidecar attached. Both of these photos are in a poor condition and not worth trying to upload.I have another photo of a larger group group of 16 men standing on steps outside a building with the same mix of cap badges.

I will try to post a blown up photo of the cap badge but can't seem to do this on this post so may have to restart another post to do that

No all that shows is that your father rode a motor cycle

I am wondering if the pics are WW1 as a couple of men look to be wearing medal ribbons.

Depends on what the medal ribbons are. many men wore ribbons (medals for the use of) during WW1 for example pre WW1 campaign ribbons, various gallantry awards and so forth

They are indeed in early pattern (still khaki) Royal Air Force (RAF) uniforms. The upright column supporting the roof above the steps on which they stand has the remnants of a poster with German writing so I suspect that this photo was taken within the Rheinland occupation zone.

I think that the medal ribbons are WW1, BWM and VM. Some of the cap badges could be RAF and others RNAS?

Robert

I think that the medal ribbons are WW1, BWM and VM. Some of the cap badges could be RAF and others RNAS?

Robert

Yes I think that the cloth badges on the headdress might well be RNAS, although I seem to recall some early RAF badges were cloth too so it is difficult to be sure.