Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchester Regiment - Pals Battalions

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Which battalions of the Manchester Regiment were Pals battalions and where were they raised?

I am trying to identify a piccie of a unit of Manchester Regt soldiers taken behind what looks like a mill.

Ian

(Probably one for you Dave!) B)

Ian

The "Pals" were the 16th - 23rd battalions, inclusive. The 16th were semi-officially known as the "First City Pals", the 17th as "Second", etc. Details of where raised on Chris' main site. Best general overview is still Mike Stedman's "Manchester Pals".

When you mention "mill", I presume you mean as in cotton mill. Might possibly suggest the 24th Bn, known as the "Oldham Pals" and , later, as the "Cotton Town Heroes".

Can we see the photo? I think you need to email via Chris to get it uploaded

John

B)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Chris/John,

Thanks for your replies.

Chris - Yes I did check out the main site but I am a southerner - I have no idea of the areas of Manchester.

I think the best idea would be for me to scan it and mail it to you and perhaps you could post it - if this is OK?

Ian

:)

I look forward to seeing this picture,it may ring some bells, although it must be borne in mind that many photos of the Manchesters (including a lot of the Territorial battalions) were taken in "urban" surroundings.

As an add-on , the 24th were also known as the "Oldham Pioneers" and the 23rd were a "Bantam" battalion.

Dave. :)

Ian

Yep. Please scan and I'll see if anything leaps out at me. It may be difficult as we were not exactly short of mills in those days round here and there's a lot of photos in industrial settings. This could be a group of Pals who joined from the mill ??

John

Ian

The main building at the back looks as though it might be housing, but there are certainly industrial properties (not a mill in my view) as well. I'm afraid there's nothing to identify where this might be. There a quite a few elderly men, so my guess is that this is a territorial company (possibly 2nd line). Photo having being taken in the parade ground.

I presume nothing on the back of the photo to indicate the photographers name or address?

John

I'm afraid that I, also , can't pinpoint the location. One thing of interest ,though, is the fact that one of the Warrant Officers (front row ,6th from the left) is wearing the cap badge of the East Lancashire Regiment.

Does this give any clues?

Dave.