The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Capture of Major Yate II

seaforths

Now look at this guy:

imagejpg1_zps9f951910.jpg

'This is a photo of a young Prussian N.C.O. circa 1912 in his dress uniform. His tunic is Dunkelblau (Dark Blue), his trousers are black with red side seam piping. The dark band of his hat, the standing collar and Brandenburg cuff are red. The lace trim at the collar and cuff is gold, and indicates his rank as an N.C.O. The lack of N.C.O. disks on the collar indicate his rank as Unteroffizier, a rank between corporal and Sergeant. He is wearing a marksman's lanyard with one acorn, the lowest qualification as a marksman. His belt buckle is brass with a silver badge in the center, unchanged since 1847. The badge has the Prussian king's crown in the center and the Prussian State Motto, Gott Mit Uns (God is With Us), surrounding the crown. He is wearing a bayonet and bayonet knot. The colored bands of the bayonet knot would indicate which company this soldier belonged to. The buttons on his shoulder boards would also have the company number on them. '

Source: http://www.worldwar1.com/sfgeruni.htm

Now then, are our chaps Prussians???

"In the earlier report it was stated that Yate was found to be in possession of a note written in a different hand, indicating the walking/marching route from Torgau to Dresden, which seemed to suggest that another person had had a hand in the venture. That is not correct: the place names, one of which was wrong, were in fact written in Latin printed characters, as is the convention in the British Army for proper names."

Mick

Thanks yet again Mick!

Julian

Is this now the complete and correct translation for the Berliner Tageblat for 26 September? Also, I can't work out what the translation for the 22 September should read? Can someone write that one out for me in full please & thank you

Yes, your transcript of the the 26 Sept account seems fine to me. Kids and class preparation for tomorrow permitting, I'll try to get around to the 22 September one later. It is pretty straightforward (I think!).

Trajan

EDIT - PS: Oh, and yes, better add Father's day celebrations to the permitting circumstances!

Post no. 73 The other side of the card is written out and dated June 1915 sent from Hannover to someone in Berlin:

http://www.dutchmilitaria.com/products-page/photographs/wwi-german-groupphoto-early-war/

If that link doesn't work try http://dutchmilitaria.com and then click on the postcards on the right hand side.

Yes, your transcript of the the 26 Sept account seems fine to me. Kids and class preparation for tomorrow permitting, I'll try to get around to the 22 September one later. It is pretty straightforward (I think!).

Trajan

EDIT - PS: Oh, and yes, better add Father's day celebrations to the permitting circumstances!

Thank you Trajan - in your own time with the 22nd translation - I will just keep my eye open for it. Y'all have a lovely Father's Day.

I will plod on with my 'Ottos' I think there is a good chance they are Bavarians with Major Yate and I am playing devli's advocate with the other two images I posted, much as Trajan with the Saxons. I would hate for us not to explore all the avenues and eliminate them properly. It would be good to get an i.d. on that group of June 1915 though..

Marjorie,

These are four books I have come across referring to 1914 Belgium, a couple of which I have previously referred to:

German Posters in Belgium

The German Fury in Belgium

Belgians Under The German Eagle

Belgium & Germany

The Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives. Unfortunately only the catalogue is available online.

I may have found another Bavarian Feldpost card, sent from Aaachen, 20th August 1914, but the place name occurs in the Rhineland as well. I believe it is Weiden, but I can't read where it is near (Amberg?). If I search "Hauptstrasse, Weiden, I only get the Rhineland one come up. There is no unit name to go by either.

post-20576-0-25481500-1402843278_thumb.j

My Heroldsberg man's unit were still in the area in February 1915 and I now have a franking stamp with the full unit name.

post-20576-0-84737300-1402844418_thumb.j

Marjorie,

These are four books I have come across referring to 1914 Belgium, a couple of which I have previously referred to:

German Posters in Belgium

The German Fury in Belgium

Belgians Under The German Eagle

Belgium & Germany

The Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives. Unfortunately only the catalogue is available online.

I may have found another Bavarian Feldpost card, sent from Aaachen, 20th August 1914, but the place name occurs in the Rhineland as well. I believe it is Weiden, but I can't read where it is near (Amberg?). If I search "Hauptstrasse, Weiden, I only get the Rhineland one come up. There is no unit name to go by either.

attachicon.gifFrom Aachen crop.jpg

My Heroldsberg man's unit were still in the area in February 1915 and I now have a franking stamp with the full unit name.

Well done you getting a clear frank! Weidon page is winging its way to you via email - too big for here and you need a clear image to be able to read it.

Edit: The German Terror book that I was using is on the archives.org site but I don't have the link for it anymore. I do have the German Posters one as well but I have a couple of modern tomes that I haven't yet checked one is an iBook so quickly searchable but the other is a paper book. I will go back to the books when I've finished Otto-ing!

Thank you Trajan - in your own time with the 22nd translation - I will just keep my eye open for it. Y'all have a lovely Father's Day.

I will plod on with my 'Ottos' I think there is a good chance they are Bavarians with Major Yate and I am playing devli's advocate with the other two images I posted, much as Trajan with the Saxons. I would hate for us not to explore all the avenues and eliminate them properly. It would be good to get an i.d. on that group of June 1915 though..

Devil's advocate is necessary, as all needs to be out in the clear so that we can get down to the kernel eventually, even though it is taking a while! I personally doubt that those guys are Saxons... A gut feeling based - as in the original and now locked post - on those Gew.88 and 71/84 bayonets: I have no quarrel with SS on those and yes, the Bavarians did use them long after 1905 or so. But I still haven't sorted out unit markings for the 71/84 yet, so I'll try to do that soon, and then get back to the 22nd Sept. transcript!

Trajan, look at Wyliecoyote's posts again in the original thread. I am sure he said something about the bayonets not being tied to Bavarians. I wonder if he could identify that unit of 1915 I posted. I will mail the back of it to you. It has a generic Hannover postmark but handwritten feld-post across the top.

Phil, another email winging its way to you. This one with an Aachen page under StaBenbahnen is Weiden maybe that word means main roads because afterwards follows the list of street names - I've attached the Aachen map as well. I will get on the laptop in a few minutes and check my other German maps. I know I don't have the southern border area because I have struggled in that area before (as you know) but I might have the northern area.

Trajan, look at Wyliecoyote's posts again in the original thread. I am sure he said something about the bayonets not being tied to Bavarians. I wonder if he could identify that unit of 1915 I posted. I will mail the back of it to you. It has a generic Hannover postmark but handwritten feld-post across the top.

I quite agree! The devil, as usual, is in the detail...

I need to double check thoroughly, but on a quick read-through, well, according to the late Anthony Carter, the doyen of German bayonet studies (but working on what was known to him in the 1990's), the 71/84 was in service with various non-Bavarian units into WW1, if mainly machine gunners and medical corpsmen - and medics were considered as part of the 'Train'. E.g., a 71.84 bayonet marking '16.T.S.2.19' is accredited to the Train-Abteilung Nr. 16, Sanitatskompagnie nr. 2, Waffe 19.

I could give other examples but that is enough for now!

So, yes, WW1 use of those 71/84's (and so the Gew. 88) was not exclusive to Bavarian units - this (and the uniform colour) is of course where our sparring partner got off on the wrong foot... Now, I haven't found a Saxon 'reserve' unit that might have been using this toy in August WW1, but I have found a fair number of 71/84's with Saxon markings, not all necessarily of WW1 date, although those with machine-gun company and Sanitatskompagnie marks are certainly candidates for WW1 use.

Trajan

I've now downloaded 87 lots of records for Herman/Hermann Otto and have been able to sort and segregate into date/place of birth folders so I now have 36 of these Otto candidates to go through their records. What a NIGHTMARE they were! In true Ancestry style a single individual might have 4-5 pages of records dotted across a couple of Ancestry pages so I had to sort them out. At least they are done now and I can start to go through them and weed out some of them. I couldn't ditch the Saxe, Prussian and Wurtenberg ones as they were their places of birth but they served with Bavarian units. Coincidentally, one of them came from Martinkirchen (where Major Yate was buried).

Enough for tonight, I will start to go through them tomorrow evening...

Phil the other two books I have that are not old ones are the Heather Jones book - Acts of Violence against POWs, which I thought might be worth checking and the other one I have is the Horne/Kramer book German Atrocities a History of Denial. I did have a Belgian book - a huge thing that I rescued from behind a radiator in a second hand book shop. It was about German atrocities in Belgium during 1914 and published in France but because I couldn't read it very well as it had been written in French, I sent it to someone in Belgium who auctioned it off for charity. However, I was interested in the subject matter so I got the Horne/Kramer book. I haven't had chance to read it yet but I think both of these books might be worth me checking in the coming week. The Jones book will be quick as it is on the iPad so I can search key words. The other book has a good index but is paper so will take a bit longer but both books are going on for 700 pages.

Edit: just ran a quick search in the Jones book on Bavarians and got 35 hits. I will explore them later in the week when I've finished with the Herr Otto files!

Soooo, still going through my Herman Otto men looking for a possible unit for for him at Louvain and I notice that 'Hohern Stabe' comes up with a couple of them. I put it into Babylon translator and it gives me Hohern Staff. I am still only slightly wiser in that stabe must mean staff but Hohern...?? Are they worth following up or not? I get the feeling Hohern might be a location or a unit but not sure. If anyone can assist please I would be grateful and thank you :)

Try "Higher Staff"

Phil

Danke schon Phil! I am nearly half way through making a summary list of their service without checking their records proper but I think once I do look at their record sheets quite a few of the later ones with DOBs at around 1896 and 1897 will not have been serving in 1914 and I will be able to eliminate them quite quickly.

I pulled the Horne & Kramer book this morning and it has a lot on Bavarians but I will leave that till last because it covers France as well as Belgium and I suspect that most of the Bavarian activity will be around the Alsace area, which is one of the other reasons why I bought it. It gives me some background reading on the area of some of my other POWs that met a suspicious end.

Here is the list of Herman/Hermann Otto (sourced from Ancestry). I have their actual records to look at yet. I thought I would post the list in case anyone can identify that a particular unit might not have been in Belgium or anywhere near Louvain at the time. Conversely, if you spot a potential candidate also let me know and I can go straight to his record. Please just use the HO## (HermanOtto number) as a reference I will find his records from that. Cheers (Sorry it's so long!)

HO1 DOB: 9 May 1883 – 3 Units on Record POSSIBLY MOBILISED 4/8/1914
Combat Arm: Kraftfahr-Formationen
Type of Unit: Kraftfahr-Ersatz-Abteilungen
Unit: bayer. Kraftfahr-Ersatz-Abteilung 01

Combat Arm: Hohere Stabe
Type of Unit: Hohere Stabe
Unit: Armee-Oberkommando 06

Combat Arm: Dienststellen und Truppenteile in der Heimat
Type of Unit: Dienststellen und Truppenteile in der Heimat
Unit: Bezirks-Komandr Passau

*HO2 DOB: 29 November 1885 – 4 Units on Record NO - EARLIEST SERVICE 1/7/15
Combat Arm: Infanterie
Type of Unit: Infantarie-Regimenter
Unit: 20, bayer, Infanterie-Regiment

Type of Unit: Ersatztruppenteile der Infanterie Regimenter
Unit: 3 bayer. Infanterie-Regiment (Augsburg) 1 Erstz-Bataillon

Type of Unit: Ersatztruppenteile der Reserve-Infanterie-Regimenter
Unit: bayer. Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment No.3 (Memmingen) Ersatz-Bataillon

Type of Unit: Infanterie-Regimenter
Unit: 20 bayer. Infanterie-Regiment
ALSO POSSIBLE SAME MAN AS HO10 AND POSSIBLE 2 FILES IN HO33 (20 BAYER AND MEMMINGEN)

HO3 DOB: 10 September 1896 3- Units on Record POSSIBLY MOBILISED 6/8/1914
Unit: 9 bayer. Infanterie-Regiment

Type of Unit: Ersatztruppenteile der Infanterie Regiementer
Unit: II Ersatz-Bataillon/I bayer.Inf.Regt. (Schweinfurt)

Unit: 9 bayer. Infanterie-Regiment (Wurzburg) I Ersatz-Bataillon

HO4 DOB: 19 August 1890 – 1 Unit on Record POSSIBLY MOBILISED 14/8/1914
Combat Arm: Artillerie
Type of Unit: Ersatz-Feldartillerie-Regiment
Unit: bayer. Ersatz-Feldart. Regt.

HO5 DOB 4 January 1872 – 3 Units on Record NO – EARLIEST RECORD JANUARY 1917
Type of Unit: Feldartillerie Ersatztruppenteile
Unit: 12 bayer, Feldart-Regt. (Landau/Pfalz) II Ers-Abt.

Type of Unit: Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon
Unit: Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Laundau/Pf II B5

Type of Unit: Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon
Unit: Landsturm-Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon Zweibrucken Kaiserslautern II B12

HO6 DOB 24 April 1874 – 1 Unit on Record NO – EARLIEST RECORD NOVEMBER 1915
Unit: Etappen-Inspektion 06

HO7 DOB 20 September 1879 – 4 Units on Record NO – EARLIEST RECORD DECEMBER 1915
Combat Arm: Pioniere
Type of Unit: Pionier-Formationen; Pionier-Ersatz-Bataillone
Unit: 4 bayer. Pioniere-Ersatz-Bataillon (Ingoldstadt)

Type of Unit: Pioniere_Formationen: Pionier-Parks
Unit: bayer. Pionier-Park-Kompanie 04

Type of Unit: Pioniere_Formationen: Pionier-Parks
Unit: bayer. Pionier-Park-Kompanie 11

Combat Arm: Pionier
Type of Unit: Pionier-Formationen: Pionier-Ersatz Bataillone
Unit: 3 bayer. Pionier-Ersatz Bataillon (Ingolstadt)

HO8 DOB 7 October 1881 – 1 Unit on Record UNIT NOT IN AREA
Unit: 5 bayer. Infanterie-Division

HO9 DOB 30 July 1885 – 4 Units on Record NO – EARLIEST RECORD MARCH 1915
Unit: bayer. Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment No.6 (Furth/Bayern) Ersatz-Bataillon

Type of Unit: Gebirgs-Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon
Unit: Gebirgs-Infanterie-Ersatz Bataillon

Type of Unit: Jager und Radfahrer
Unit: Jager-Regiment No.3-1/Batl. (Oder Bayer Schneeschuh Bataillon1)

Type of Unit: Jager und Radfahrer
Unit: Jager-Regiment No.3-IV Batl.

*HO10 DOB 29 September 1885 – 1 Unit on Record (see below) NO - E/Res Inf Reg 3 ON 31/1/15
Unit: bayer. Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment No.3 (Memmingden) Ersatz-Bataillon

Possibly same person as HO2 – Same place of birth (Schmiedefeld Kreis Schlensingen Thuringen (Thuringia)) ALSO A POSSIBLE 2 FILES IN HO33 (20 BAYER AND MEMMINGDEN)

HO11 DOB 25 October 1885 – 1 Unit on Record
NO - EARLIEST SERVICE 9/2/16
Unit: 23 bayer. Infanterie Regiment

HO12 DOB 20 February 1885 – 1 Unit on Record NO - Slacht bei Nancy 22/8/14
Type of Unit: Feldartillerie Ersatztruppenteile
Unit: 4 bayer. Feldart. Regt. (Augsberg) II Ers.-Abt.

HO13 DOB 9 April 1886 - 2 Units on Record POSSIBLE – MOBILISED 6/8/1914?
Type of Unit: Landwehr-Infanterie-Regimenter
Unit: Bayer. Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 2 (Landshut)

Type of Unit: Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillone
Unit: Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Dillingen I B 15

HO14 DOB 8 February 1887 – 1 Unit on Record POSSIBLE – MOBILISED 17/8/1914?
Type of Unit: Feld-Rekrutendepots
Unit: Feld-Rekruten-Depot 14 Inf. Division

HO15 DOB 7 September 1887 – 1 Unit on Record POSSIBLE – WAS AT DOUAI 1914 (NOT SURE DOUAI NORTH OF CAMBRAI OR DOUAI NR AUGSGERG, GERMANY – I NEED TO CHECK THIS OUT
Unit: Etappen-Inspection 6 Etappen-Magazin-Verwaltung

HO16 DOB 19 November 1887 – 3 Units on Record NO – EARLIEST RECORD FEBRUARY 1916
Type of Unit: FuBartillerie-Bataillone
Unit: bayer. FuBart-Bataillon 16

Type of Unit: Ersatztruppenteile FuBartillerie-Regiementer
Unit: Ersatz-Bataillon/1 bayer. FuBart. Regt. (Mainz)

Type of Unit: Ersatztruppenteile FuBartillerie-Regimenter
Unit: Ers. Batl/3 bayer. FuBart. Regt. (Grafenwohr)

HO17 DOB 22 January 1889 – 3 Units on Record NO – EARLIEST RECORD JULY 1915
Unit: 2 bayer. Infanterie-Regiment (Munchen) I Ersatz-Bataillon

Unit: bayer. Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment No.2 (Munchen) Ersatz-Bataillon

Type of Unit: Maschinengewehr-Einheiten
Unit: 1 Ersatz-Masch. Gewehr-Kompanie Standort Munchen

HO18 DOB 22 January 1890 – 1 Unit on Record POSSIBLE MOBILISED 3/8/1914?
Combat Arm: Bayerische Reichswehr
Type of Unit: Bayerische Reichswehr
Unit: Leichtes Artillerie-Regiment 22

HO19 DOB 8 October 1890 – 1 Unit on Record POSSIBLE – MOBILISED 4/8/1914?
Unit: Feld-Rekruten-Depot 1 Sudarmee

HO20 DOB 3 October 1890 – 1 Unit on Record POSSIBLE – RECORDS FROM 1913 ONWARDS
Unit: 21 bayer. Infanterie-Regiment

HO21 DOB 8 April 1891 – 1 Unit on Record POSSIBLE – MOBILISED 4/8/1914?

HO22 DOB 29 December 1893 – 1 Unit on Record NO - EARLIEST SERVICE 15/12/14
Combat Arm: Kavallerie
Type of Unit: Ersatz-Kavallerie-Formationen
Unit: Ersatz-Maschinen-Gewehr-Eskadron II. Armee-Korps

HO23 DOB 3 May 1895 – 1 Unit on Record HELP MAY BE REQUIRED WITH THIS ONE
Unit: II Ersatz-Bataillon/8 bayer. Inf Regt (Metz)

HO24 DOB 23 May 1895 – 3 Units on Record NO – EARLIEST RECORD APRIL 1915
Unit: 8 bayer. Infanterie-Regiment

Unit: 30 bayer, Infanterie-Regiment

Unit: 8 bayer. Infanterie-Regiment (Metz) I Ersatz-Bataillon

HO25 DOB 13 September 1896 – 1 Unit on Record NO - EARLIEST RECORD DECEMBER 1915
Type of Unit: Gebirgsartillerie-Ersatz-Abteilung
Unit: bayer. Gebirgs-Artillerie (Sonthofen) Ers-Abt.

HO26 DOB 2 July 1896 - 1 Unit on Record
NO – EARLIEST RECORD NOVEMBER 1915
Combat Arm: Kraftfahr-Formationen
Type of Unit: Divisions-Kraftwagen-Kolonnen
Unit: bayer. Divisions-Kraftwagen-Kolonne

HO27 DOB 20 September 1896 – 1 Unit on Record NO – EARLIEST RECORD FEBRUARY 1916
Unit: II Ersatz-Bataillon/I bayer Inf. Regt. (Schweinfurt)

HO28 DOB 12 August 1897 – 1 Unit on Record NO – EARLIEST RECORD AUGUST 1916

HO29 DOB 3 June 1897 – 1 Unit on Record
NO – EARLIEST RECORD APRIL 1917

HO30 DOB 9 October 1898 – 1 Unit on Record NO – EARLIEST RECORD NOVEMBER 1916
Unit: 21 bayer. Infanterie-Regiment

HO31 DOB 1 May 1899 – 1 Unit on Record NO – EARLIEST RECORD JUNE 1917

HO32 DOB 6 November 1893 NO - LUNEVILLE,FR 22/8/14 TO 12/9/14
Combat Arm: Bayerische Reichswehr
Type of Unit: Bayerische Reichswehr
Unit: Reichswehr-Infanterie-Regiment 47

HO33 MIXED BAG OF RECORDS POSSIBLY BELONGING TO THE ABOVE
Hohere Stabe – Armee Oberkommando 06 - POSSIBLY BELONGS TO HO1, HO6, HO7 OR HO15
20 bayer Infanterie Regiment - POSSIBLY BELONGS TO HO2 AND/OR HO10
Bayer Reserve Nr.3 (Memmingen) - POSSIBLY BELONGS TO HO2 AND/OR HO10
Landwehr Infanterie Regimenter. Bayer Nr.2 (Landshut) - POSSIBLY BELONGS TO HO13

I will edit the above post as I go through their proper records and strike through those that can be eliminated.

Phil, I'm not sure if this will help or not with your/my Bavarians (Aachen-Liege(Aarschot)-Louvain) but I decided to pick up the Horne/Kramer book again today and make a start (a change of mind for me thinking a paper book will take longer to get through so I had better get cracking!). Anyway here goes a few pages in (this is the very start of the war):

'The Germans converged on Liege in five lines which attacked simultaneously (map 2). The northernmost column, the 34th Mixed Infantry Brigade, struck from Aachen to Vise, with the intention of crossing the river Meuse and attacking the city from the north. The 27th Infantry Brigade moved from the north-east on the fort of Barchon. The 14th Infantry Brigade took the main road from Aachen, traversing a string of villages (Battice, Herve) before assaulting the fort of Fleron which barred entry into Liege from the east. The 11th Infantry Brigade came from Eupen to assault the forts of Chaudfontaine and Embourg, south-east of Liege. The 38th and 43rd Brigades formed the southernmost prong of the attack, moving up from Malmedy to attack the fort of Boncelles, south of Liege.'

There are actually two maps but they are not so big and very grainy (I had to use my magnifying glass) but I will try to scan them for you later when I can get onto the desktop. Meanwhile a couple of links which you might already by aware of from another thread posted by Trajan and Colin W Taylor respectively:

http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Militär/Formationsgeschichte/Deutschland/Alte_Armee/Divisionen

and:

https://archive.org/details/historiesoftwohu00unit

Edit: PS Non-acidic book repair tape arrived this morning - I'm going to be a busy bunny!

Wiping out my post, has just made the perfect end to a bad day! Here is a summary of the bits I can remember.

I also came across this link on Liege.

I'm afraid my intentions to start on your list came to nothing. I'm also struggling with some of the unit nomenclature.

Last night I had a second run through the Liege and Namur Feldpost, but found nothing new.

Two more newspapers you can cross off the list:

Österreichische Illustrierte Zeitung

Staufener Wochblatt

Phil

Good evening,

The works of Schmitz and Nieuwland https://archive.org/search.php?query=schmitz%20%26%20nieuwland%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts which Kramer and Horne based a lot of their work on includes this reference to Bavarians in the volume covering the siege of Namur.

post-48281-0-23196100-1403042996_thumb.p

The works only cover the Belgian provinces of Namur and Luxembourg

Wiping out my post, has just made the perfect end to a bad day! Here is a summary of the bits I can remember.

I also came across this link on Liege.

I'm afraid my intentions to start on your list came to nothing. I'm also struggling with some of the unit nomenclature.

Last night I had a second run through the Liege and Namur Feldpost, but found nothing new.

Two more newspapers you can cross off the list:

Österreichische Illustrierte Zeitung

Staufener Wochblatt

Phil

Thanks Phil will check it out tomorrow. I have to take the car for MOT first thing and told it will be ready by lunchtime so will stick the lappy etc. in a holdall and settle myself in *bucks for a few hours! Spent this afternoon and evening scanning maps on and off (between repairing pages). Tomorrow I will work through the Bavarians and strike the ones that joined after 1914. Not all of them have that much info on their records but it will thin them out a bit.

Good evening,

The works of Schmitz and Nieuwland https://archive.org/search.php?query=schmitz%20%26%20nieuwland%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts which Kramer and Horne based a lot of their work on includes this reference to Bavarians in the volume covering the siege of Namur.

attachicon.gifBavarois.PNG

The works only cover the Belgian provinces of Namur and Luxembourg

Thank you Steve for the link. I will investigate that too tomorrow. Fortunately, my French is better than my German! I did notice their sources, it didn't occur to me to check out the archives.org site so thank you again for drawing my attention to that...I wonder if it is worth plotting them out on a map, they seem to be popping up a lot in various parts of the region. I was reading about the amount of German troops pouring into Belgium from the start and was staggered by the figures!

My, things have been busy here since Sunday! But I plan to spend time properly catching up tomorrow or this weekend, most especially with that transcription for 22nd and then that long list of German units you have provided Seaforths!

In bed with Lemsip Max and 12 year old single malt - I hate summer colds!!!!

I've just amended my list in post #90 from the work I managed to get done this morning. It has been reduced quite a bit so less units to worry about now and I may be able to reduce it more with a little more work.. Can anyone help me with the following column headers please and thank you - sorry I don't know what they mean. I've been able to work out some of the others by myself though...

post-70679-0-46547200-1403110741_thumb.j

Sorry I won't get much done tonight...mm feelin' pretty rough :(

Get well soon!

I don't know how the German records work, but presumably the units are in date order. Do they give dates of postings and transfers?

I have had a look at HO1:

Kraftfahr-Ersatz-Abteilung 01 = Home posting (probably Munich)

AOK 6 was in Lorraine

Dienststellen und Truppenteile in der Heimat / Bezirks-Komandr Passau. I translate this as Departments and Units in the Homeland / Regional Commander Passau.

Phil

Post #96 - my best shot at a few of them:

Column 10 = "Service (a) former, (B) since Mobilisation"

Column 11 = "Medals, Decorations & other awards"

Column 15 = "Comments"

Thanks for clarification Phil - I thought as much but didn't trust myself.

I will try to work on them again tomorrow if I'm not feeling too shabby. I will look at the ones in green and anonymise them and post the individuals records up as HO1...etc. and cite Ancestry as the source. That way, I should be ok with regards to copyright. I am sure a mod will let me know if I'm not.

Some of the images were a bit difficult to read or faintly written so I couldn't tell if they were 1914 or 1916 (the number 4/6 being difficult to define). I will try tomorrow, to make those images a little clearer so I can see what they are about. If I'm still struggling I will post them as someone else might be able to make out what they are.

I have cropped out other names and entries on the same page this is HO1

ho1-4-Copy_zps31942ae3.jpg

Better (?) image added