Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Erick Schloss Royal Fusiliers and Middlesex Regiment

johnnie

Dear All,

I am trying to find out more about Eric P Schloss who served with the Royal Fusiliers and the Middlesex Regiment with the numbers G/29466 and G/31969. So far I have found his MIC which confirms he was entitled to the pair only, but I have been unable to find anything more about him.

I have looked at birth, deaths, marriages and the census with no luck, so thought I would see if any forum members could help. His name sounds German, but that could just be me.

Any help at all would be great.

Johnnie

He appears to have died in 1949 in Surrey. As Erich P Schloss. That entry gives you a date of birth of 1885

Electoral rolls give him as Erich Philipp Schloss

There is a family tree here click suggesting he was born in Kew in 1885 - you would need to check that with bmd

He appears in UK 1891 and 1911 census. He was born in Belgium, and comes from a reasonably wealthy family

schloss.jpg

The census shows his father was born in Germany

That's fantastic. Thank you so much for that.

I have emailed the owner of the family tree to see if they have any further information on him.

Can I ask how you found them on the census? I've tried various versions of the name and have so far had no luck.

I was also wondering where the newspaper report came from, and if there was a date for the report.

Thanks again,

Johnnie

I was just beginning to type this as Corisande posted...

It looks like Eric Schloss may have been one of the men transferred to the "Enemy Alien Units" in mid-1916 under Army Order 1209 of 1916.

http://www.1914-1918.net/msex_aliens.html

Some of them had served in normal Infantry Units prior to transfer and this may have applied to Eric Schloss.

There do not appear to be any records for Eric Schloss. The records of G/31961 W C Schafer show that that man served with the 35th Labour Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers until May 1916 when he transferred to the 3/7th Essex Regiment and then to 30th (Works) Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment in July 1916.

Steve.

If you have a findmypast sub this is the reference to the censuses click here

He was living in Kew, and was not born there

24 April 1916 - Nottingham Evening Post is the newspaper ref which date ties with Steve's post above

Found them. There was a transcription error on ancestry but I've got the details now.

I'll have to check the medal roll next time I'm at Kew to see if the battalions fit with the above details.

Thanks again,

Johnnie