Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC's at TNA

Langdon

Do the WO 372 files ever have anything other than just the MIC? I know they are not service records, but am interested if one should go further at the TNA even though the MIC is found (and seen) on Ancestry..

Thanks

I did go and look at the medal rolls, i.e. the books themselves. And put some of the lists on our Brigade website. I am not an expert on WW1 but in the roll you can see the names of those with contingent numbers and the deaths and cause of leaving the unit may be there too - in the form of regulation numbers. I think that with a sub to ancestry or another site allowing you to read medal cards, you can search under service numbers and find everyone that way.

But the medal index cards hold the info from the books - I think. I havent checked that.

However, also at the NA are the unit war diaries - if they are not yet available on line, and those do tell you a lot. Since you are in London, it might be worth having a root round.

Some of the cards in the MICs are for MMs, and other gallantry awards which will at least tell you when the award was gazetted, and for the MSM give some indication of the "type" of the award.

The usual MIC summarises the information from the rolls, depending on the regiment/corps the rolls themselves can be considerably more detailed. For infantry you will at least get battalion postings, sometimes with dates - larger corps such as RFA/RGA, ASC tend to be less detailed (though the rolls for stars will show the unit with which a theatre of war was entered).

Some (a small number, I hope) soldiers' MICs are either not in the Ancestry set or are not indexed, but can be found in the TNA set.

A number of non-military MICs cannot be found on Ancestry but can be found at TNA.

R.

Thanks for your replies - I've been to TNA and accessed two service files (the real thing) but didn't bother with the MIC's as I had them already from Ancestry. Hence the question. Thinking about it you'd have thought the MIC's would be part of the service files but that might be expecting too much!

But I have discovered the war diaries since and have ordered East Lancs and RFA files - and am waiting for them..

ATB,

Mike

The medal rolls hold so much more info.

Really worth getting if you want more than a few mens details from the same Btn.

Often you see details about medal application dates/addresses/transfers/returned for adjustment/withdrawn medals which can give insight about men who have no service record.

Thinking about it you'd have thought the MIC's would be part of the service files but that might be expecting too much!

You have to think about the process of issuing the medals. First of all the records office responsible for a unit's records would go through the records to check the eligibility of each man and draw up the medal roll (the eligibility is also noted in the individual record). The rolls were then forwarded to the Army Medal Office which was responsible for actually getting the medals made, engraved and despatched. Since the rolls have a variety of orders, some separate out different battalions, otehrs don't, others are in strict order by number, others aren't - and a man could appear on more than one roll - they then created an index card for each individual so they could more easily locate the appropriate roll entries in case of queries.

I suspect that the MICs would not have been selected for permanent preservation if so many of the individual servic records had not been destroyed, but as it is they serve as something of a proxy for the destroyed records.