Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lance Corporal Fernando Joseph Carreras - Royal Irish Fusiliers

PaulHP

Can any body shed any light on him?

His CWGC record says that he is buried in Malta, yet the Times and Deceased Online say he is buried at St. Pancras Cemetery in East Finchley?

CARRERAS, F J
Service No: 45831
Date of Death: 03/02/1919
Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Fusiliers 3rd Bn.
Grave Reference: E. R. G. 3.
Cemetery: ADDOLORATA CEMETERY
Additional Information:
Son of the late Christopher and Louisa Carreras.

Deceased online;

burial register summary

last name: Carreras
first names: Fernando J
burial date: 07 February 1919
authority: London Borough Of Camden
The other puzzling thing is he died on the same time as his brother and was buried on the same day:
The Times Thursday February 6, 1919.
CARRERAS.- On 3rd Feb., at 48, Glenloch-road Belsize-park. Lance-Corporal Fernando Joseph, 3rd Royal Irish Fusiliers, second son of the late Christopher Carreras of Gibralter. Funeral at St. Pancras Cemetery, East Finchley, to-morrow (Friday), leaving the house at 9.15. Service at St. Dominic Priory, Hamsptead. R.I.P
(also on same page of paper): CARRERAS.- On 3rd Feb,. at 48, Glenloch-road Belsize-park. Louis Ernest, Eldest son of the late Christopher Carreras of Gibralter. Funeral at St. Pancras Cemetery, East Finchley, to-morrow (Friday), leaving the house at 9.15. Service at St. Dominic Priory, Hamsptead. R.I.P.
I cannot find any further details on the BNA or Times archives about what happened to them.

Intriguing (if not baffling) - both brothers are in the 1911 Census - Ferdinand J (Anglicised or a mistake? Same on his MIC) and Louis E, living in St. John's Wood - both born in Valletta, Malta, and British subjects. And Louis 'Echert' Carreras is on Deceased Online on the same day..

Mmmh, Spanish Flu? One a memorial the other an actual grave? I wonder if there is also a memorial to his brother Louis in Addolorata Cemetery, it appears close to where they were born

Yes I thought Spanish flu too..

I have looked at the DeceasedOnline Burial Register scan and there is no doubt that this is where the two brothers were buried.

St Pancras Cemetery
Roman Catholic Ground
Viaduct Vault

Louis aged 30
Fernando aged 28

From CWGC WEBSITE:

Addolorata Cemetery contains 250 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and 18 from the Second World War. Many of the graves will be found in two plots, one in Compartment A, Section EA, Division E and the other in Compartment D Section V Division E; the rest of the graves are scattered.

The grave reference for F. J. CARRERAS is E. R. G. 3.

Certainly some confusion.

I suggest you contact the CWGC for clarification.

CGM

It says "who died in London" but it's not clear if that refers to both of them! Wouldn't it be more likely to have a memorial where they were born?

From a website HERE:

The Santa Maria Addolorata Cemetery was designed by Emanuele Luigi Galizia, (1830 - 1906), of the Public Works Department, and opened on 9th May 1869. Several thousand burials have taken place since then, as it is the main Roman Catholic cemetery in Malta, the faith followed by almost 100% of the population.

The Bold is mine. This could explain why this cemetery was chosen.

If you look at the website it lists the military (and family of military) burials.

F. J. CARRERAS is listed.

One explanation could be that when it became possible the family paid for the brothers to be moved from the Vault in England to the Cemetery in Malta.

A look at the Addolorata Cemetery Burial Register, to see the date of their burial, would show if this idea could be true.....

CGM

• 3 months later...

CWGC got back to me today. He did indeed die from Spanish flu (as they kindly added a copy of his Maltese burial record).

Their reply "I read with interest that you found references to the above mentioned casualty having been buried in St. Pancras Cemetery in 1919. We have no record of this in our archive so I contacted our Technical Supervisor in Malta, to see if he could possibly find anything within the burial records at Addolorata Cemetery. He has responded to me today, advising that he was able to locate a burial record and I attach a photograph that he kindly provided. As you will see, it contains a reference to the death in London in 1919 and that the (re)burial in Addolorata Cemetery took place at 11.15am on 8th March 1921."