Remembered Today:

World War One at Home, BBC TV iPlayer

David Ridgus

Apologies if this has come up before, but looking at the current factual programme list on iPlayer up popped three half hour programmes with the above title. They appear to be regional programmes (the North East) and they are only on iPlayer for another two days.

I watched one tonight and I thought it was excellent. It chronicled the impact of the war on Tyneside and did so with a series of vignettes of people in the area. A light directorial touch. An unstarry presenter only interested in putting across the story and some footage I had not seen before all added up to a very enjoyable watch. I suspect it cost about fourpence to film and yet, in my opinion, put many a big budget centenary programme to shame. I look forward to watching the other two over the weekend.

More like this please

David

I'm just watching another of the Great War at home programmes; Josh Lewsey doing football and rugby players at war, so far so good.

Pete.

I'm just watching another of the Great War at home programmes; Josh Lewsey doing football and rugby players at war, so far so good.

Pete.

Are they internet only? I cannot see them in the schedules

David

The Lewsey one was on the BBC; it was on Monday so it was still on the I-player an hour ago. It was a bit clunky in places but fundamentally ok. It took Rosslyn Park and Clapton Orient (now Leyton Orient) as examples. There were the usual gratuitous pictures of the trenches at Sanctuary Wood in the rain but I quite liked it. I have always had a soft spot for the Orient as one of my mates at college was a fan and I've was particularly impressed with their memorial to the fallen players at Flers.

Pete.

This is the last day when these programmes will be available on i-Player.

WW1 at Home local programmes

I had a moan to the BBC on Twitter and they replied:

Sadly these won't be available for longer, but these films are all based on WW1 at Home stories here: World War One at Home

With so much BBC programming over and done before the beginning of the centenary is even here, I wonder what's left to fill the next four years?

Sue

With so much BBC programming over and done before the beginning of the centenary is even here, I wonder what's left to fill the next four years?

Sue

Sue

I've thought the same. I suppose there are the huge set piece battles around which to build programming - Gallipoli, the Somme, Third Ypres etc.

I've been wondering whether there may be more drama series. TV loves a detective, and a very cursory glance at my bookshelves shows me - Dead Man's Land, The Somme Stations and The Dead of Mametz - all of which I'm sure would succeed wonderfully on the screen.

David

Sue

I've thought the same. I suppose there are the huge set piece battles around which to build programming - Gallipoli, the Somme, Third Ypres etc.

David

Let's hope they remember Jutland, Zeebrugge and the Dover Patrol too...

Let's hope they remember Jutland, Zeebrugge and the Dover Patrol too...

seaJane

Indeed. We might get an inkling if there is anything on Coronel and the Falklands later this year.

At the very least I hope Channel 4 will dust off their "Jutland: clash of the Dreadnoughts" documentary from the 90th anniversary. I would like to see Jeremy Clarkson do a programme for Zeebrugge similar to the one he did for St.Nazaire a few years ago. I know he is not to everyone's taste but his historical documentaries have been uniformly excellent in my opinion and it's a great story to tell

David

Yes indeed, David - under "normal" circumstances I can't stand le Clarkson but his St.Nazaire and VC documentaries showed that he is capable of good work.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently available ( till 01:59 30th June '14) on BBC iplayer a thirty minute programme of BBC News channel overage from the WW1 at Home Roadshow at the Mersey River Festival which features a number of the WW1 at Home topics (not just those from the Merseyside); a lot covered, but, nevertheless, an interesting half hour IMO Click; topics covered:

The modern day 'dazzle' artwork ship at Liverpool

The participation of the Mersey Ferries in the Zeebrugge raid (includes parts of British Pathe archive footage of a contemporary re-enactment, and the ferries' later return to the Mersey, a full version of which can be found Here )

Zeppelin attack on Sheffield - eyewitness accounts

Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley & Shell Shock 'cure' fake film made by Major Arthur Hurst (British Pathe footage used can be found Here)

A piece by Kate Adie on nitrate film found in Long Eaton of shell filling at the Chilwell ammunition factory prior to the explosion in July '18 which has been restored by IWM Duxford - also available on youtube Here (intrigued as to why the women are sliding down ropes at the end of the piece)

Conscientious objector - Jack Foister

Re-enactment rugby match and dedication of a new memorial at Rosslyn Park RFC, SW London

Captain Oscar Greig & Lt. John MacLennan shot down by the Red Baron

NigelS