Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gale and Polden Military Publishers and Printers

Sepoy

Thanks. E-mail sent.

That said, the newspaper giving an incorrect e-mail address won't promote many sales. 'Tiscalia' my $%£&

Edited by Steven Broomfield
Newspaper mis-print shock horror!

6 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Thanks. E-mail sent.

That said, the newspaper giving an incorrect e-mail address won't promote many sales. 'Tiscalia' my $%£&

Oh dear,
when I contact David it is usually via FB Messenger or by telephone, so I had not looked at his email address. If you have difficulty in making contact via "tiscali" let me know and I can put him in touch with you.

Sepoy

I changed it to "tiscali" and it hasn't bounced back.

I have just received a response from David Strong. Talk about old-school: I was touched.

The book has sold out (150 copies), but a second edition s expected next week. Mr Strong will send me one, enclosing a SAE for me to send him a cheque in payment.

When was the last time you were able to pay for something AFTER receiving it?

Whatever the book's like, I know I'm going to enjoy it!

28 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

When was the last time you were able to pay for something AFTER receiving it?

I don't remember, but I do remember doing it myself once with my little Abadies book.  The chap was a Hussar, though.  Perhaps that's the important thing - a Hussars connection.

Liz

eBay purchases? Though one has to click a Pay button on Paypal, the money isn't taken from one's account for some days and one gets an email giving notice of this. So, presumably, there's a chance to squawk that there's something unacceptable about one's purchase. 

Moonraker

36 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

eBay purchases? Though one has to click a Pay button on Paypal, the money isn't taken from one's account for some days and one gets an email giving notice of this. So, presumably, there's a chance to squawk that there's something unacceptable about one's purchase. 

Moonraker

Hit and miss- Most E-Bay sellers only send goods after the payment has gone through-If there is a delay of days before your card is dented via Paypal, then usually your item is also en retard   Consumer legislation is a safeguard but the Distance Selling regulations exist to frustrate the unwarranted return of,among other things, books.

"PayPal's New Pay After Delivery Service Twists Its Model. ... The way the service works is that shoppers order the item, select Pay After Delivery during checkout and PayPal immediately pays the retailer. We'll send you a reminder first and then deduct the money from your bank, 14 days after purchase.”

I concede that I'm a bit vague about what happens if there's something  wrong with the item one receives. It hasn't happened to me very often, and when it has the vendor has been very obliging (as I have been on a couple of occasions as a vendor myself.

No need, I think, for  us to expand on this particular theme any further, as we're going off topic.

Moonraker

• 5 weeks later...

Anyway, my copy arrived today: looks (at first glance) excellent.

And it even comes with a SAE for the cheque!

• 2 years later...

Gale and Polden were publishers, London and Aldershot, did they have first names? Often

referred to as “Pale and Golden”. Old Mr G, or Mr P, lived in Surrey, he had a large greenhouse and I

discovered, while managing the firm Tradition in Piccadilly, that he still had the original

stone printing blocks, the lithographic printing stones, of many of the Victorian Military

prints that his firm had published.

I hot-footed it South, and the nice old chap; was it Mr Gale or Mr Polden I wonder, but it was

some sixty years ago; gave me luncheon and we later took our coffee, at last, to his greenhouse

where he proudly showed me the blocks, depicting the works of Butler, Payne, Simkin et al, now

being used as paving slabs and well worn by passing feet over the last half century, but with the

edges still showing traces of the uniform engravings drawn by these great artists.

Gob-smacked wasn’t a strong enough term for my disappointment. However I was somewhat

molified by his kind gift of a number of large military prints executed by Simkin and Payne

prepared in 1900 for the Navy and Army Gazette.

In my collection I have some twenty illustrated Victorian/Edwardian military picture books and

perhaps a hundred individual prints including those from Mr G, or was it Mr P?.

Thank you SeaJane. I was about 23 when I met with, someone, in perhaps 1963. If Mr Polden was born in 1859 he would have been 104 in 1963. So, who did I meet, a son? a former director of the firm? Now I'll never know, but it was an interesting afternoon.